Another Devon newbie

RichyC

Hi everyone, 

Completely new to the forum and stumbled across it yesterday whilst sitting in an airport lounge for 4 hours. Very interesting read so far and seems everyone is much friendlier than some of the forums I've been on in the past. 

I'm currently just going through exchange and hoping to complete on a property by the end of Feb.

An interesting 200sqm 1930s bungalow that's been carved into 3 individual "flats". I put an offer in back in August but after realising it was on 4 separate titles it's taken some time for land registry to amalgamated it all into 1 property. It is dated, probably last being refurbished in the 70s with, unusual for a bunglow,10ft ceilings. I'm hoping to live in this property for maybe upto 10yrs so am prepared to make it "just right". I have intentions for a contemporary redevelopment but really don't have any solid ideas as of yet so thought I'd sign up to buildhub to get some ideas before I go to my architect.  As soon as I've exchanged I'll share the current plot and the sort of style i would like to achieve and hopefully get some interesting ideas and advice from you all. In the meantime I'll be reading through the topics here and get more of a feel for what's possible.

Edited by RichyC

Hello!

I am also Devon based (mid), we are in the process of starting a new build and discovered the forum after desperately looking for help online.

I still don't know very much, but every question I have asked on here has been answered in so much depth its been invaluable so far. 

Welcome :)

Welcomen fellow Devonian and will be interesting to see what you end up with.

And scope to go into the roof, there are some quite stunning conversions down round this way.

Depending on where you are I could give advice and examples of bungalows to contemporary done pretty well

Edited by Moonshine

1 hour ago, RichyC said:

[...]

Completely new to the forum and stumbled across it yesterday whilst sitting in an airport lounge for 4 hours. Very interesting read so far and seems everyone is much friendlier than some of the forums I've been on in the past. 

[...]

Welcome.

We're friendly because most of the stuff we deal with is high-stakes : no matter whether we're spending £1000 or £100,000 - the chances of getting it 'wrong '  in some way is vastly reduced by being open and appropriately honest about our successes and failures. There's heaps of both for you to feast on here.

You talked about briefing an architect. A common topic of discussion. Have a read of this .....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Welcomen fellow Devonian and will be interesting to see what you end up with.

And scope to go into the roof, there are some quite stunning conversions down round this way.

Depending on where you are I could give advice and examples of bungalows to contemporary done pretty well

Oh I forgot that part, I'm based in Torbay. Id love to see some contemporary examples.

There is scope for first floor. The height of the ridge is about 12 feet when standing on the joists in the loft. The property is a bit of a strange shape though, hence the need for some advice. I do infect have an architect in mind. But this is a controversial decision perhaps too. He gives a good vibe, knows the local area very well, has a good portfolio, knows the planning officers and suggests he has a good understanding of the national planning framework. However, his most recent company is less than one year old, has been bankrupt in the past and isn't a member of RIBA. These last few pieces of info gives me a bit of a wobbly feeling, but when I speak to him he gives a very good story and certainly talks the talk 

Edited by RichyC

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, a long time since my update. Finally purchased the house after some tough issues to overcome surrounding the fact they were 3 flats, any way we moved in a week before lockdown1  so give it a quick coat of paint and carpets. We then started plans with the architect. With about 8 weeks of to and froing we've got an idea of what we want it to look like but I am unsure we've totally gone over the top with budget. I don't know how we can get a vague idea of cost without going down the QS route. Which part of building should I start a topic and upload my drawings to try and gain some insight. 

fyi, Currently 200sqm, 4 bed, the new design is 320sqm ish but still a 4bed. 

Hope you're all well,

Richard