Temporary Sewage Treatment Options

Kernow

Hypothetically speaking if you had to move on site into temporary accommodation (static caravan) before the required sewage treatment plant and soakaway installations had been completed, what are the options for disposing of foul waste?

Is it possible to just part bury a large tank and have this emptied sporadically?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not unusual to have flat tanks under static vans - they can be pumped out by a

standard suction tanker 

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear, a quick google is needed I think...

9 hours ago, jamieled said:

+1. We have a composting toilet for our touring caravan on site. DIY'd for about a tenner.

What sort of set up is this? Do you have a separate building/shed with the toilet over the composting whole? Do you think it would be possible to pipe waste directly from a static toilet into a compost whole?

9 hours ago, Stewpot said:

If you're not proud, a bucket with a lid, a biodegradable bin liner and some cat litter. Then just bury it somewhere discreet.

?, this could get tedious very quickly.

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What sort of set up is this? Do you have a separate building/shed with the toilet over the composting whole? Do you think it would be possible to pipe waste directly from a static toilet into a compost whole?

Yep, separate shed, use a big bucket then when it gets full stick it on a compost heap. You probably could design something that would work from inside the static.

15 minutes ago, Markblox said:

Get your treatment plant in early so you have something to empty your caravan toilet cassette into,  and until that is done hire a portaloo.

Not sure I like this idea, but not sure if I’m wrong. 

Doesnt your treatment plant work off natural bacteria breaking stuff down, where as a chemical toilet relies on chemicals to break stuff down, wouldn’t tipping these chemicals into a new treatment plant affect its performance. 

Anybody more knowledgeable out there. 

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Doesnt your treatment plant work off natural bacteria breaking stuff down, where as a chemical toilet relies on chemicals to break stuff down, wouldn’t tipping these chemicals into a new treatment plant affect its performance. 

Good point Russel, the normal blue liquid used wouldn't be any good but you can get biodegradable pellets or liquid or just use nothing at all, would need a water supply at that point in any case.

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would not empty caravan chemical waste into a treatment plant.

When we bought our first plot we spent 2 weeks in the touring 'van getting site services organise.  We just took the cassette of waste into town on shopping trips and emptied it at the local public toilet.  We chose the one that did not have a full time attendant in case they objected to us carrying a container of waste in regularly.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Apparently the blue toilet fluid can’t be emptied into a treatment plant but the pink stuff is ok! (Found this out when I bought a touring van this summer ).

You can also get bio degradable cubes or balls that are OK too.

So get the drains in or the treatment plant in early if your camping on site, save a fortune on portal hire with a DIY long term build.

DIY composting loos are really easy to make: just get a bucket with a lid and a source of organic material such as wood shavings and you never need to touch the brown stuff. Make some kind of thunder box to house the bucket and loo seat. Every time you 'go' put a decent handful of shavings over it, and it really doesn't smell. When the bucket is full, swap for  a clean one, and put the old one at the bottom of the garden for several months (I wouldn't advise tipping out onto the compost heap for obvious reasons!). It will then turn to compost which you can put in the garden or round fruit trees but not on veg, just in case of pathogens. We've done this at our stables in an out door shed and its no where near as disgusting as any kind of chemical loo to use or manage. 

58 minutes ago, Jilly said:

DIY composting loos are really easy to make: just get a bucket with a lid and a source of organic material such as wood shavings and you never need to touch the brown stuff. Make some kind of thunder box to house the bucket and loo seat. Every time you 'go' put a decent handful of shavings over it, and it really doesn't smell. When the bucket is full, swap for  a clean one, and put the old one at the bottom of the garden for several months (I wouldn't advise tipping out onto the compost heap for obvious reasons!). It will then turn to compost which you can put in the garden or round fruit trees but not on veg, just in case of pathogens. We've done this at our stables in an out door shed and its no where near as disgusting as any kind of chemical loo to use or manage. 

Visited a camping site recently where they had very good compost Loos, simple instructions on the wall and as @Jilly says no smell and the chap running the place said it was very easy to set up and maintain. I think They had straw in the bace of big buckets to soak up the pee ! When one bucket was full it was put to “compost” and a new one was put in. Looked like a good system.