Removing old fence post concrete

Having a JCB is a great help for this!!!! I have had to resort to manual digging in the past which is hard work and depends a lot an how much concrete was used. If the hole was dug with a digger there may be loads of concrete around it. Hope someone can come up with a better solution fir you.

I removed half a dozen at our old house before we moved

If the stump that is left is still relatively sound

drill a 25 mil hole about 200 up 

Nock a long chisel through 

Then simply jack it up a bit at a time on either side 

It left the concrete in But I just moved the posts up 

when putting in new posts it was good to make up a shoe in lead to the depth of the concrete, silicone around the top edge to prevent water ingress and when required lift old post and replace, this would depend upon the number of posts. as suggested above wrapping and sealing in dpc/dpm would do a similar job.

2 hours ago, nod said:

I removed half a dozen at our old house before we moved

If the stump that is left is still relatively sound

drill a 25 mil hole about 200 up 

Nock a long chisel through 

Then simply jack it up a bit at a time on either side 

It left the concrete in But I just moved the posts up 

Farm jack is good too.

We had a similar problem when we replaced one of the fences. The installers had kindly put the posts in 600mm deep and put around 150mm of concrete at the bottom of the hole. When the posts broke at a later date they didn't replace them, instead they concreted a chunk of angle iron to the post and strapped the two together. As a result we had to dig out two lumps of concrete for every post. The only way we could do it was with a spade which was a real pain for 25m of fencing.

IMG_20170426_120105.thumb.jpg.59c972ad6e23de850e456b39a404d14d.jpg

Cheers for the advise, I ended up drilling the post out, down as far as I could go, approx. 1 foot.

What a pig of a job, 3 hours to put up a single chuffing fence post! I have put an extra layer of post Crete on top of existing concrete.

There was damage

20200125_171720.jpg

Edited by Moonshine

10 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Cheers for the advise, I ended up drilling the post out, down as far as I could go, approx. 1 foot.

What a pig of a job, 3 hours to put up a single chuffing fence post! I have put an extra layer of post Crete on top of existing concrete.

There was damage

20200125_171720.jpg

Was it a concrete post you drilled out ?