Merits of Water pipe in duct.

MikeSharp01

Silly question time, if you wanted to run a water pipe underground down the garden from the house would 25mm MDPE pipe be the smallest bore correct solution?

Secondly do the duct colours really matter if you are working on the house rather than the utility side of things? If you wanted some blue duct for water and some black duct for electrical it would be ok to just get 50m of one colour? Which single colour would be better? black as electricity is more dangerous?

Edited by daiking

I wouldn't worry about duct colours within your own boundary.  As you say, one roll will probably do several different runs, so just go for whichever is available at the right price.  I've used left over bits of Openreach Duct 56 for all sorts of things, as they left around 20 3m lengths of it on site as leftovers and didn't want it back.

• 6 months later...

How have people sealed the end of the duct when the water pipe has been pulled through? The bit under the ground, not the bit you can see in the house. I have a large 110mm or 150mm put in by the timber frame company and have a 32mm supply going in. The local water board need it sealing for sign off. TIA

30 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Apparently cement can rot the mdpe according to latest inspector but others have always requested this. Not had a pipe rot on me yet. Think this guys suggestion was fire foam and wire wool

Wrap the MDPE in plastic, handful of cheap stainless pan scourers and then a squirt of foam to hold them all in.