CHEAP Hardwood Door

Onoff

Wow! its a long time since I've bought a hardwood door! Need something like this for a back door. £250 at Wickes just for the door! I'd be a bit happier if I could get the frame and sill for that too...

Any suggestions for a cheap supplier? Seems a travesty I need to cut a cat flap in it as well!

Cheers

door.JPG.c884ea9213742a266670c317d106079d.JPG

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Georgia-External-Oak-Door-Glazed-2-Panel/p/9000236161

Barnsley.  Hailing from God's own county myself, I feel qualified to point out that a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him. Got to price it keenly if you sell up North!

(no offence intended, all stereotyping acknowledged, ee bah gum, I'll get me top coat) ?

4 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Barnsley.  Hailing from God's own county myself, I feel qualified to point out that a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him.

glad to see someone who realises the Scots are generous, normally we're classed as tight gits ?

• Haha 1

On 30/01/2020 at 21:07, Roundtuit said:

a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him

And a Cornishman is a Yorkshireman with the last drop sucked out.

I got my car MOTed and a mate, instead of asking if it passed, said 'how much did that cost?'

Now I just put silly numbers on things to upset him.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

And a Cornishman is a Yorkshireman with the last drop sucked out.

I got my car MOTed and a mate, instead of asking if it passed, said 'how much did that cost?'

Now I just put silly numbers on things to upset him.

Nice to see graduates of Ecole Ferdinand have reached Cornwall.

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Nice to see graduates of Ecole Ferdinand have reached Cornwall.

I suspect that Yorkshires moved here as economic migrants in the 18th and 19th century, then took what they learned back, including Trevithick's boiler designs.

Well that little exchange with a seller on Gumtree has really knocked my faith in the site and people having common decency!

Agreed to collect a door from the seller Sunday afternoon. I was actually going to make a +200 mile round trip as it was the exact size I needed. Gave him my phone number etc. Received a message tonight:

"Just to let you know

Door is now been sold

Sorry"

I messaged back that I thought we had a gentleman's agreement and that I wasn't impressed. 

"I've been let down before by people promising to turn up

So whether yr impressed or not it's sold"

I know how Gordon the Gopher is feeling tonight.

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Well that little exchange with a seller on Gumtree has really knocked my faith in the site and people having common decency!

That's really crap. I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

18 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

This is what happened to me and I to avoid it now. 

39 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

That's really crap. I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

Tbf, to date, I've only had good experiences buying. 

I have a lot of sympathy with the seller.  Previously when selling cars you get plenty of people who say they can come tomorrow and never turn up.  I am not going to turn away potential buyers, it sells to the first one to turn up with cash.

I would probably have explained that to you and said phone when you are ready to set out, and if it's still available I won't sell it during the time it takes you to get there.

Don't PayPal for a "collect in person" item.    Or more a case as a seller, don't accept PayPal payment for a collect in person item.  In the event of a dispute PayPal will side with the buyer if no proof of delivery exists.

Sometimes scammers use this, pay for an item with PayPal, go and collect it, then wait a few days and claim it was not delivered and get their money back.

I got banned from Gumtree. Used it to post an ad for our caravan when we had finished with it (used for the build) and the ad got denied as a breach of rules. When I asked what I had breached I got banned ?. OH posted the same ad from his account, all ok and caravan sold to first viewers.

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Sometimes scammers use this, pay for an item with PayPal, go and collect it, then wait a few days and claim it was not delivered and get their money back.

Or the other one people always used to fall for. Some story about needing to pay more money into Paypal than the item is being sold for and they would collect the item and the excess cash from the buyer. Then after collection you find out that it was a stolen credit card and Paypal do a chargeback and you lose the lot. Chargeback is always a risk with Paypal in any event. Never pays to be too quick off the mark to post even if the buyer is pushing like mad. Seeing the money in your account doesn't always mean it's yours. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have a lot of sympathy with the seller.  Previously when selling cars you get plenty of people who say they can come tomorrow and never turn up.  I am not going to turn away potential buyers, it sells to the first one to turn up with cash.

I would probably have explained that to you and said phone when you are ready to set out, and if it's still available I won't sell it during the time it takes you to get there.

Seller is an arse. A promise is exactly that. I'd arranged my weekend around going to get it. Hopefully he dies a painful death when the door falls on him in tomorrow's gales. Karma. 

I just bought some new oak doors from a company who were off loading their seconds on eBay. For an idea of the price I got a  mexicano solid oak for £93, 6 panel glass for £110 and a stable door for £125. company name were deal4doors. They had been slightly damaged in storage, just the odd scratch or corner dent. As I'm a French polisher no big deal for me but having had them delivered I don't think anyone would turn them away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems I have a door fetish. I have now gotten 4 upvc doors with frame. 3 bought and 1 a freebie. Just came up at the right price.

I have homes for 3. 4th one I might sell on or build a garden room around it! ?

Where can I buy Compriband or similar in small quantities i.e enough to do a single door? Maybe it goes by another name?

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Seems I have a door fetish

Yup....... I have now got 3 external doors on stock and at least 8 internal doors...... i was very glad to be able to actually use one a few months ago. been offered a nice double UPVC door and frame and could not think what to use it for.... I am now thinking that when I build my polly tunnel I could use it at the non business end of the tunnel..... but I won’t be building the tunnel for another two years..... do I get the door and stash it or save the space and let it go ...... what a dilemma !!!!!