Building regs on new doors for new build

gwebstech

Hi

Ive been told that a brand new door needs to have a security letterbox but does the box have to be a certain height? the door guy says these secure letterboxes are massive and ugly so ill have to swap it once regs have been passed.

Im not sure if i also need a spyhole as i understand you have to be able to see i someone is outside or not

i cant find the info i need, and i need to get these ordered. i know about the good security needed and the low threshold but im stuck on these other issues.

thanks

1 hour ago, gwebstech said:

Ive been told that a brand new door needs to have a security letterbox but does the box have to be a certain height? the door guy says these secure letterboxes are massive and ugly so ill have to swap it once regs have been passed.

Im not sure if i also need a spyhole as i understand you have to be able to see i someone is outside or not

I've never heard of either of those. We have an outside post box and no letterbox in the door. The only letterbox related building regs change I know of is the proposal to ban low level letter boxes to save posties back. I think he's spinning you a yarn.

Think it depends on the security part of building regs. Think all ground floor Windows have to be laminated etc etc. I'm not sure when it applies and when it doesn't. Just tell your door man to fit the standard one at your risk

37 minutes ago, PeterW said:

thanks Peter

it does say there that there needs to be some security about the letterbox but not necessarily specifying a great big thing like the door guy told me

and it says i need a spyhole too... its got obscure glass, surely thats enough. Some of these regs are just horse crap