New French Doors- can't see thru!

zoothorn

3 hours ago, JanetE said:

Well at least he's actually wearing clothes ?

Actually yesterday one my builder's chaps here, advising me to do my ceiling insulation.. in just my undercrackers/ jump in t'bath after etc. I could go one further.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

I would remove the beads, measure the glass, put the top and bottom beads back in, then wait for the replacement, only 2 beads will hold it fine and it's a lot easier to get them out afterwards. The first bead is always the hardest. 

Having major prob even getting a scraper in the gap, let alone prize the beading any more than 2mm up.. or my scraper will snap, &/ or I'll ruin my frame attacking it. huge pressure needed.. tbh I just don't see how its possible.

I was expecting this difficulty tbh- which is why I was asking if this beading stuff is universal, so I could just replace it (once I somehow get this out).

How exactly is it 'clipped' into place? I cant see anything on any DG glass it could clip onto, so assume its only attatched to the outer adjacent part of the frame.

The beading clips into a groove in the frame. You just need to hit it hard enough and at a downward angle so the scraper pops the beading up. Once you get it popped then move the scraper along continuing to pop it up. The first bit is always the worst. 

20 hours ago, Declan52 said:

The beading clips into a groove in the frame. You just need to hit it hard enough and at a downward angle so the scraper pops the beading up. Once you get it popped then move the scraper along continuing to pop it up. The first bit is always the worst. 

So does the clip 'bulge' bit run along whole length of beading? is it sufficiently thick that when I hit it with a paint scraper (the only thing I can possibly jam in tiny gap) I'm not gonna split the beading tho?

And angled down.. so if I'm doing the horizontal top bead of window (longer) I'm angling the scraper.. downwards?

thanks- zoot

33 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

So does the clip 'bulge' bit run along whole length of beading? is it sufficiently thick that when I hit it with a paint scraper (the only thing I can possibly jam in tiny gap) I'm not gonna split the beading tho?

And angled down.. so if I'm doing the horizontal top bead of window (longer) I'm angling the scraper.. downwards?

thanks- zoot

The beading clips in all the way round the window. It won't split by hitting it at a downward angle. This will force the scraper down the gap and pop the beading up.

14 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The beading clips in all the way round the window. It won't split by hitting it at a downward angle. This will force the scraper down the gap and pop the beading up.

Ok understood- but in my case as I can barely get it in, getting any angle down is impossible (scraper just bends).. & as I can only get a pretty thin one in, why I'm worried about splitting it, above the bulging beady bit.

21 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Having major prob even getting a scraper in the gap, let alone prize the beading any more than 2mm up.. or my scraper will snap, &/ or I'll ruin my frame attacking it. huge pressure needed.. tbh I just don't see how its possible.

I was expecting this difficulty tbh- which is why I was asking if this beading stuff is universal, so I could just replace it (once I somehow get this out).

How exactly is it 'clipped' into place? I cant see anything on any DG glass it could clip onto, so assume its only attatched to the outer adjacent part of the frame.

They are not universal, no. Each type of frame extrusion will have it's own beading, so if you know who made the frames, you may be able to get replacements from there.

But it shouldn't be necessary; the beads should pop out fairly easily. Remember that some beads are fitted from the outside, some from the inside. Start in the middle of the longest bead, leaving the top one till last - there are several demonstrations on Youtube, eg:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQh2B1PcRU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qsomwD6wh8

Sometimes, the greatest difficulty is that some glass units are also held in place with double sided tape, and it can be a bugger getting that to release.

You should find there are packers between the glass unit and the frame rebate - on a fixed window, you only need these at the bottom, to raise and centralise the unit in the frame opening. But on side-hung openers, you need to heal and toe the packers, to stop the frame sagging on its hinges. To do this - at the bottom corner, on the hinge side, one packer at the bottom, one at 90 degrees up the side, and then the same arrangement on the opposite top corner. The net result is similar to a brace on a gate.

34 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I just cannot get the beading off/ its completely impossible. The scraper is so tight in 5mm.. & 90* to the window/ I cannot get any angle down to aim for the bead bit. If I rubber-hammer it the whole window is having such a shock I'm worried it might crack. It must have to be done with a specific tool.

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I just cannot get the beading off/ its completely impossible. The scraper is so tight in 5mm.. & 90* to the window/ I cannot get any angle down to aim for the bead bit. If I rubber-hammer it the whole window is having such a shock I'm worried it might crack. It must have to be done with a specific tool.

Then just pick up the phone and pay for some glazing company to come out price the job up and install the glass for you. 

20 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Have you looked at a don Carlos yet? Your scraper could be crap 

Yes had a look. Seems a good place for new glass, & basics on condensation.. but specifically doesn't recommend diy glass refitting.

20 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Then just pick up the phone and pay for some glazing company to come out price the job up and install the glass for you. 

I was wondering if I could buy a specific 'scraper' tool.. seems a shame to have to spend £100's (tbh I don't have) when its just a bit of plastic needs popping correctly preventing me doinmg the job.

22 hours ago, Stewpot said:

They are not universal, no. Each type..

Hi Stewpot- great help there. Cant believe the chap in 1st clip undid/ removed/ replaced a glass.. in 3.42 mins!!

Its that scraper thing I need then: it seems like it needs a sharp edge to be able to grip onto the bead & then lever it slightly.

Anyone know what they're called? worth me buying one & at the least having another go.

thanks for help chaps- zoot

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I used a sharp chisel to pop my beads out. Sounds wrong but the sharp edge gets in the gap, the taper of the blade forces the bead out. Done with zero damage. 

If I'm slightly damaging my beading just with a thin 1mm putty knife, I'll surely to more dmg with any chisel tho. I think its that pro tool.. or bust.

38 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Its that scraper thing I need then: it seems like it needs a sharp edge to be able to grip onto the bead & then lever it slightly.

Anyone know what they're called? worth me buying one & at the least having another go.

I don't think you need to spend money on the 'proper' tool. I can pop my beading out with an old carving knife. It just needs something with a thin edge to it.

I wonder if something else is afoot; if the beading is not popping out, there has to be a reason. A gap should start to open up as soon as you push the blade between beading and frame; you might need to work the blade back and forth a bit, but it is designed to be removable.

oem_white_interior_plastic_door_frames_u

This image shows an example of a frame with beading in place - there is a lip that has to be prised out  from its retaining grove. In real life, with the glass in place, it can be a little bit trickier, but it really shouldn't put up too much of a fight.

Why not post a photo of your scraper in position, so that we can see what you're doing.

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Talk about hard work here you go I've done it for you

https://www.windowware.co.uk/original-don-carlos-knife

To be fair it does say that particular knife shouldn't be used for removing beads and to use one of these instead.

https://www.windowware.co.uk/don-carlos-pallet-knife

https://www.windowware.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/31354/