New French Doors- can't see thru!

zoothorn

Hi- extention just built (bar internal insulation, electrics, plasterboard). Rendered block, internal timber frame. 2 storys. 4.5m square.

New upvc white (cheapo, yes) french doors: I have terrible condensation on the outside panes, almost continually/ & daily (& pretty much all day too). Sun  now streaming onto them for 1hr -& remains directly on this West side till sundown- the windows/ glass is totally obscured bar the perimeters.

I do not have this problem with any other (similar in style) upvc window, even 20 yr shot ones. I do get terrible condensation -inside- almost all, including these doors too. But this tends to clear ~10am. But this outside condensation means I can rarely see through the glass of doors.

I installed them specifically for the view, & also usefully a place I can put a camera to catch antisocial behaviour from locals: now this deterrant is useless. Its hugely dissapointing, relentless, looks awful & makes my view redundant. And I just do not see it on any other properties, so its not solely due to atmosphere here. To me they seem definitely faulty, but how possibly so if they're new-?

Any thoughts?  thx zoot.

These are double-glazed. I think I  did dip into this Q before, but can't find/ need to refresh my query.

No heating.

But what do you mean by 'heating'? the room designated as from a BCO/ technical pov "heated" (which I cannot understand what constitutes A from B).. or simply heating IE introducing a source of powered warmth?

Just now, nod said:

Get the heat on and you will see your garden again 

Trouble is you see, I'm way off getting an actual heater in. I cannot progress on the build until I get the final (1/3rd) bill from my builder including these doors, because there are huge issues with the work done.. very complicated, & my builder deliberately witholding bill to help his case currently (&/ or just to prohibit me from progressing on internal stuff). Prior to getting this damn bill/ in the meantime, I need to establish if these doors are faulty.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Plug in an electric convector heater on an extension lead from the rest of the house. Get the room up to something like a normal temperature and see if the problem clears.

That's an idea.. bloody cold now tho/ only got a diddy fan heater (dangerous/ if too much cold to cope with the plug starts melting). I take your idea on board tho.

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

That's an idea.. bloody cold now tho/ only got a diddy fan heater (dangerous/ if too much cold to cope with the plug starts melting). I take your idea on board tho.

What is your weather down there?

Unusually warm here for the time of year, and dry as well.

27 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Just to be clear - is the glass steaming up on the inside of the outer pane, or the outside? If it's the former, you have failed DG units.

Outside.

Ok that helps too, as I do have an old kitchen window with slight, but irritiatingly uniform over 1/2 pane, condensation on the inside.

As I'm here: how easy is it to fit a new DG section on  an older upvc window? same design as my new ones mind you.

2 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Outside.

Ok that helps too, as I do have an old kitchen window with slight, but irritiatingly uniform over 1/2 pane, condensation on the inside.

As I'm here: how easy is it to fit a new DG section on  an older upvc window? same design as my new ones mind you.

You need a wallpaper scraper and a hammer. Put the scraper on the beading and work your way round the window frame and take the bead out. The 2g unit should be taped in so won't fall out but I did say should do keep a hand on it just to be safe. 

Measure the height and width of the unit and take it to whoever in your area makes glass. Then just remove the 2g unit when the new one comes and fit the new one carefully tapping the beading.

Or get the glass guy to come out and do all this work and pay him. 

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

In my house, the weather is freezing bloody cold I can see my breath right now, but no rain.

Outside, in the bright sun its a bit of mild heat/ in shade & fog, cold.

Zoot. I know you are in the wild west Wales somewhere, but it can't be good for your health to be bloody freezing all the time. Don't you have any heating fella ?

@Declan52 thanks for that- I'll keep this info logged for when I get round to replacing this shot DG glass.

Is the idea with the white placcy beading, mine looks to be 1" or so W, to replace it.. or is the idea to put it back in?

I've only got 2cm or so of frame past the beading.. until my reveal tiles: a bit constrained maybe? is the DG glass able to be fitted from either side (inside or outside).. or is it always done from inside-?

20 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Zoot. I know you are in the wild west Wales somewhere, but it can't be good for your health to be bloody freezing all the time. Don't you have any heating fella ?

Heating ? What’s that . ‘Ard we are !! 
Shorts all the way ; everyday !

image.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, Temp said:

I wonder if washing the outside with dish washing liquid would help? Bit like the trick divers use to keep face mask free of condensation.

I hadn't heard of that.. but forgive the obvious Q: would the rain just wash it off it one go tho? I think maybe that's only suitablw for the inside, IE inside the mask glass/ no sense outside surely.

No idea if it would work outside. I think the principle is either...

* condensation needs dust to form on so clean glass is less likely to attract condensation? 

Or

* It causes the droplets to clump together and run off?

@Temp ok builder here today, I can ask him if he's heard of the idea.. if I ask about condensation, as an issue specifically, I'll just get "its fine" & walk off in a grump. again.

45 minutes ago, Temp said:

I wonder if washing the outside with dish washing liquid would help? Bit like the trick divers use to keep face mask free of condensation.

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

@Declan52 thanks for that- I'll keep this info logged for when I get round to replacing this shot DG glass.

Is the idea with the white placcy beading, mine looks to be 1" or so W, to replace it.. or is the idea to put it back in?

I've only got 2cm or so of frame past the beading.. until my reveal tiles: a bit constrained maybe? is the DG glass able to be fitted from either side (inside or outside).. or is it always done from inside-?

The beading has to go back in to help keep the unit in place.

It will only be removable from one side that is hopefully on the inside. It wouldn't be the first window I have seen with it on the outside if its there. Handy for those folk who like to creep around at night stealing things.

14 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The beading has to go back in to help keep the unit in place.

It will only be removable from one side that is hopefully on the inside. It wouldn't be the first window I have seen with it on the outside if its there. Handy for those folk who like to creep around at night stealing things.

Great- thanks. I was just wondering if the idea was rip out the beading & put new in/ thinking it cheap placcy that's all.. ok so need to make sure not to damage it then if its going back in. Mine's beading only inside I see now. Yes understand if its on outside too.. a burglar's delight!

@Construction Channel

many thanks for this.. looks a simple & satisfying job. I wonder about removing a window glass tho in my case: without one useful 25 ft long arm to go outside & gently push glass? suction thing(s) needed?

When replacing glass, can the old one be measured once the beading removed? IE can I leave old one in, until I have new one nearby?