Water and gas lines

deuce22

Hi.

I am digging at the back of my plot to put in a land drain and have hit two underground water pipes (I’ve connected them back up). I’ve spoken with the neighbour behind me and he has informed me that they used a mole to put in gas and water for his property.

My issue with this is that they have cut across ground that doesn’t belong to him instead of keeping it close to the edge of my boundary until they enter his land. I’m now concerned with continuing in case I hit the gas line.

Is there some type of detector for gas, so I can get an idea of where it is?

Should I speak with somebody about this, is it there responsibility as they are on my property?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, deuce22 said:

Should I speak with somebody about this, is it there responsibility as they are on my property?

First find out who manages the gas pipes in your area:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-distribution-network-operator

Then look on their website for a "Dial before you dig" inquiry line.  For example in our area it is Cadent, and their info is here:

https://cadentgas.com/help-advice/digging-safely

32 minutes ago, Conor said:

Dial before you dig. If you suspect a utility is in private land but not accurately on records, you'll need to contact the utility and get a wayleave agreed

Erm that sounds the wrong way around. A Wayleave is needed upfront to establish the rights of a supplier to route across anothers private land. Signing a wayleave now would reduce the rights of the OP to complain about the problem now encountered due to the uncharted incursion in his plot.