water connections

gwebstech

Hi all

Im waiting for Severn Trent to give me a price for my water connection. A person there told me that i have to supply the pipe to the boundary and they connect to the mains in the road and then to my boundary.

I didnt know i had to buy the pipe from inside my house to the boundary - is that right? if so, surely its better if i buy enough to reach right into the road and they connect my pipe to the mains- this saves having a join in the pipe.

The guys that come to fit cant be that pedantic can they? as long as they can see its the right kind of pipe surely theyll just use that into the road?

thanks

It's normal * to fit a "boundary box" (known here as a Toby) that contains a stopcock and a water meter, at the boundary of the site.  The pipe from the main to the boundary box is the water companies responsibility. The pipe from the boundary box to the house is your responsibility.

* They do sometimes forget as @AnonymousBosch will confirm.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gwebstech said:

i didnt know that! i thought they would use some kind of electronic device to measure the usage liek at our house now, a little black circle on the outside wall is theirs apparently

thanks

When my partners parents had a water meter retro fitted, Thames Water fitted a 'smart' water meter inside the house. Maybe that is what you have at your current house. Do you have a meter reader come to read your water meter? You could ask Severn Trent whether they fit smart meters if that is what you want.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

When my partners parents had a water meter retro fitted, Thames Water fitted a 'smart' water meter inside the house. Maybe that is what you have at your current house. Do you have a meter reader come to read your water meter? You could ask Severn Trent whether they fit smart meters if that is what you want.

all i know is they never come in the house for a reading and its about 16 years old so im sure they get a reading from that black thing on the wall

It’s not a smart meter. Severn Trent fitted Landis & Gyr meters in the 1990’s and early 2000’s and these have a remote reader head that looks a bit like a black plastic container lid with 3 lugs on it.

These are being phased out to be replaced with boundary box meters that have the whole lot at the isolator point for the meter and the stop tap

You need to just lay the pipe from your point at which it enters the house to the boundary where ST identify the connection point, plus about 3 metres. That’s about £1/m to buy so there is no real saving in providing it to ST and also you have the issue if it’s damaged and it leaks (on their side of the meter) then basically there would be an argument as to liability. 

• Like 2

as a suggestion, only have a standpipe fitted. if you have a pipe from the house to the toby, they will check everything is compliant prior to making the connection to the main which i didn't realise, not that i was planning to do it incorrectly, but it meant more double check valves, taps and ensuring to correct depth prior to connection. if it had been to a standpipe  it would have been quick and easy. if i had only specified to a standpipe they would have checked it was correct and not bothered with what i did, however, as i had specified connection to house and caravan this all had to be checked prior to connection.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

as a suggestion, only have a standpipe fitted. if you have a pipe from the house to the toby, they will check everything is compliant prior to making the connection to the main which i didn't realise, not that i was planning to do it incorrectly, but it meant more double check valves, taps and ensuring to correct depth prior to connection. if it had been to a standpipe  it would have been quick and easy. if i had only specified to a standpipe they would have checked it was correct and not bothered with what i did, however, as i had specified connection to house and caravan this all had to be checked prior to connection.

you mean a standpipe in the driveway?? then connect to the house from that myself?

2 hours ago, gwebstech said:

you mean a standpipe in the driveway?? then connect to the house from that myself?

standpipe near meter, then remove standpipe and connect meter to house.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

May not help as ST put a flow restrictor in the meter unit so you get limited flow until they have seen sign off for the plumbing work 

they don't bother up here, as long as where you're correctly connected to whatever you've specified the connection is going to, they're happy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

May not help as ST put a flow restrictor in the meter unit so you get limited flow until they have seen sign off for the plumbing work 

I had a standpipe put in for a future planned property. They weren't interested in changing anything after I completed the house. Perhaps as they knew the standpipe was going to be used for house within the near future they didn't bother restricting flow