Vinyl Glue Down

canalsiderenovation

Hi

At the weekend we ended up looking at flooring for ideas as we were asked by our builder what we were hoing to use. Our renovation will be a bungalow and all new flooring, insulation, screed and underfloor heating will be put down and I'm hoping the floor will be even (builder assures me it will be)!

I really like the feel of the LVT vinyl flooring and as I understand glue down is the best option rather than the click floating type (and slightly cheaper to buy but may be a bit more expensive to fit).

The issue is we don't want wood effect, nor tiles that look like tiles, e.g. grouted (if that makes sense) and we would rather have the same colour throughout the bungalow... I'd love resin or concrete but that's out of budget. We have come across some that are large tiles that gluedown that have a more rustic appearance.

These for example (not the click version but gluedown).

https://www.floormonster.co.uk/berryalloc-pure-click-zinc-373d

https://www.floormonster.co.uk/berryalloc-pure-click-zinc-679m

Has anyone heard of this make - Berry Alloc and also Tarkett.' I've got samples from Amtico and Kardean but these seem more commonly talked about on here.

Anyone who has had vinyl LVTs care to share experience, good and bad.....

40 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Thanks @joe90 and @Mr Punter that's good to know. Is it the click stuff or the gluedown? Does it scratch or mark easily?

ours is glue down, only in bathrooms so no shoes to mark it so can’t comment, easy to clean and warmer to the touch (especially with electric UFH ?). I would certainly use it again (Amtico).

Interesting topic for me, as I am researching LVT as well for my build. 

@vivienz has the glue-down type too.

3 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I understand glue down is the best option rather than the click floating type

Why is that I wonder? Click/floating type sounds easier to install DIY.

Edited by Dreadnaught

22 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Interesting topic for me, as I am researching LVT as well for my build. 

@vivienz has the glue-down type too.

Why is that I wonder? Click/floating type sounds easier to install DIY.

I found an interesting article https://floorcritics.com/glue-down-vs-floating-vinyl-plank/

I think if you are doing it DIY and don't have brilliant subfloors and are looking for an easier fit it's a preferred option. Both showrooms (for different brands) suggested gluedown (which was cheaper) for us and I think gluedown is also recommended more for high traffic/movement and moisture areas and it's thickness which is smaller which may work better with underfloor heating.. Someone more knowledgeable may have some better info than me though... I'm just repeating back what I was told.

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Thanks 1

I understood that the thin glue down works better with UFH and a concrete slab, which we have on the ground floor.  Upstairs, we have egger board and UFH (not yet connected) onto which I had the same LVT laid.  No rocket science on the upstairs, simply that I couldn't be bothered with thinking of different colours/effects and wanted to be able to lay the same stuff throughout.

I've managed to put a couple of scratches in mine, but they aren't deep and it may be that these are just on the surface coating.  The floor has been washed many times, but I was given a care kit with it and haven't used this yet.  One of the bottles of gunk is the final coat that makes it look a bit glossy, or less dull, as you please.  I'm saving it for once everything is finished as we have a large area to go at and I don't want to repeat it too often.

Watching some more online videos on LVT:

DIY install of click/floating LVT looks very very easy.

But DIY installing glue-down LVT does not look particularly difficult: slightly more complicated but not difficult.

Given the cost advantage of glue-down LVT and that it is thinner (for UFH), I think that glue-down LVT will be my choice for a DIY install.

• Like 2

Thanks @joe90 and @vivienz for explaining in a clearer way than me. Definitely seems glue down is the better choice then if new concrete pads are being laid, insulation and underfloor heating.

One thing with the gluedown that I think may be easier is to go for one which has larger tiles as oppose to planks perhaps (more common if you're going for the stone over the wood). The tiles we are looking at are 650*650 but some of the Kardean are 915*915. 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I hate floating floors of any description, so many feel/sound hollow and regards UFH if there is a small air gap with floating this will not conduct heat as well as glued down (IMO).

Last I heard your tile floor was floating sorry couldn't resist!

• Haha 1

I think glue down is beneficial as it's paid upto arcs and skirts rather than these laid ontop. 

Good luck making a nice diy cut around these I'd leave to the pros 

I have the floating stuff in current place but only because it's diy whereas gluedown you have to get someone in. 

What's the going rate for the Labour and glue got to be 20-30?

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

I think glue down is beneficial as it's paid upto arcs and skirts rather than these laid ontop.

Oh, what I saw in the videos I watched was that glue-down LVT was inserted under architraves, at least in a retro-fit situation. The architraves were cut with a multi-tool so it would fit underneath.

I believe that LVT requires a few mm of gap around its edge. Not sure why. But it would indeed be good if this was concealed by skirting.

Vinyl is cheaper if you DIY it for certain (£30-60/m2 depending on where you get it), though we found that if you've got to pay for surface treatment and installation on top you're actually only about £5/m2 away from a resin or microcrete option at ~80/m2. Check out Flexcrete if interested.

We found the labour for the glued panels about £18/m2 for installation, and another £18/m2 if you need to prep the underlying surface.

Forbo Marmoleum...it's basically good old fashioned lino...linseed oil.  2m wide rolls, stick down, mine worked out at £66sqm fitted.  Definitely NOT a diy job and very important to use a fitter experienced with it, joins MUST be scribed to achieve 'near invisible' seams (i know this to my cost).

forbopan.thumb.jpg.37d291c058e62a13c0635aa1838cbf75.jpg

41 minutes ago, Visti said:

Vinyl is cheaper if you DIY it for certain (£30-60/m2 depending on where you get it), though we found that if you've got to pay for surface treatment and installation on top you're actually only about £5/m2 away from a resin or microcrete option at ~80/m2. Check out Flexcrete if interested.

We found the labour for the glued panels about £18/m2 for installation, and another £18/m2 if you need to prep the underlying surface.

Granted I've not had prices for fitting, but the gluedown product itself (Kardean, Berryalloc) in the colours we like I'm getting online prices sub £25m2 and that's with no real haggling  or negotiation. We do need over 200m2 so seem to benefit from cheaper prices. I will have to check fitting costs and then price up against resin.

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Last I heard your tile floor was floating sorry couldn't resist!

ha, I will give you that, but it’s my tiled floor in the kitchen that’s “floating”, the vinyl in the bathrooms are sound!

We decided on Amtico spacia (glued down) for our bathroom which we had fitted by an old pro. Looks good and is warm underfoot. I left some gaps to allow the flooring cut edges to be hidden but was advised that this flooring is cut and butted up to edges. Lesson learnt. We   Really like the flooring but it does have some visible surface scratches already which we can’t understand. It’s a brand new spare bathroom with little use and and has only seen bare foot traffic and has been cleaned by hand. It’s put me off using it for future heavy traffic areas such as the kitchen. Just our experience.

I went with the click together vinyl, probably the easiest flooring to lay. Score and snap with a Stanley to cut to size, nice and easy. Got the cheap stuff from a normal online shop and it's great. The packets are weirdly flexible and as long as you don't have any ridges in your floor, (ours was laid over 6mm ply which formed part of our floor structure) it feels dead solid. Works great with the UFH. Probably going to install it in the entire downstairs area to.