Underfloor circuit to separate floor

Moonshine

How is a UFH circuit practically taken from the manifold to a separate floor?

Is the circuit taken to a riser, cut at the riser, a 90 bend attached and then pipe again in the riser, with another 90 degree bend put on?

Or is the pipe flexible enough for a 90 bend on a short radius. I would be concerned of this kinking

Minimum radius is probably 100mm however if you are having separate floors then separate zones may be preferable with separate manifolds for each floor. 

You would then use a common circuit to provide heat to both from the heat source and let that be utilised by the separate manifolds. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Minimum radius is probably 100mm however if you are having separate floors then separate zones may be preferable with separate manifolds for each floor. 

Its only an area of 4.7m on the floor below (entrance hall) where the boiler and main UFH areas would go, so i don't know if it needs a separate manifold, it could be on a separate circuit from the floors above.

My main query is how to get the supply down there, such as conventional HW pipework that could attach directly to 2 port manifold just for that area.

Ahhhh ..!!!

Just put the manifold on the floor with the most loops and then drop the pipes for the hallway straight down. Run it all from one manifold, use an actuator if needed and put a stat downstairs. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 12:20, PeterW said:

Ahhhh ..!!!

Just put the manifold on the floor with the most loops and then drop the pipes for the hallway straight down. Run it all from one manifold, use an actuator if needed and put a stat downstairs. 

I ended up cad'ing up the house layouts and the UFH layout to see how it would fit in, any comments on the general layout? I have tried to get the heat to the large sections of glass first and external walls first. The largest circuit (green) is 98.7m

The house section on the left is 600mm above the right hand side of the house and my concern is the how to get the pipes up that step in a riser (currently 35mm riser). I suppose at the lower edge of the house the pipes can start their turn in the screed (75mm) but at the top of the 600mm rise some more thought is needed.

I don't want the radius to be so tight that they kink.

Also my current thoughts are to have the manifold at the back of a kitchen carcass / cupboard.

Edit: gah, found out the solution! there are bend supports for the UFH pipes, with a turn radius of 60mm for 16mm pipes.

https://www.thermotech.eu/Underfloor-heating/Accessories-underfloor-heating/Pipe-bend-support

UFH layout WIP - rise close up.pdf UFH layout WIP.pdf

Edited by Moonshine
revised layout added with arrow markers

20 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

the house section on the left is 600mm above the right hand side of the house and my concern is the how to get the pipes up that step in a riser (currently 35mm riser). I suppose at the lower edge of the house the pipes can start their turn in the screed (75mm) but at the top of the 600mm rise some more thought is needed.

I don't want the radius to be so tight that they kink.

You can use elbows in circuits - 16mm ones are fairly common if you look. One at the bottom and one at the top of the step would work. 

• Like 1