Underfloor heating with air source heat pump - refurbish

jwilli84

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of installing underfloor heating in an existing building relying on an air source heat pump?  I would be grateful if someone could give me an idication of the installation costs and reliability?  I am looking to fully refurbish and extend my one bedroom end of terrace house and install an air source heat pump on an south-west facing external wall at first floor level.

Thanks! 

- Building constructed in 1982

- 50-100mm cavity wall insulation (not currently known) - so faily low by modern building regs. Masonry constrction (300mm wall thickness)

- 22m2 ground floor, 22m2 first floor

- Currently use a lot of energy as it is electric only.  This may be partly due to the economy 7 tarrif we are on an using 70-80% of energy outside of the economy 7 hours.

- The house is not currently draughty as still relatively modern construction, but I agree to improve effectiveness would likely require additional external wall insulation + render or dry lining.  There is currentl;y minimal loft insualtion.

1 hour ago, jwilli84 said:

This may be partly due to the economy 7 tarrif we are on an using 70-80% of energy outside of the economy 7 hours.

I have E7 and use 90% in the 7 hour window this time of year.

Work on that to start with.

I suspect your floor us not insulated, this may cause additional heat loss with UFH.

Assuming you don't want to fig the floor up, how much insulation could you lay down.

Door thresholds and stairs are the problem.