Replace ASHP with Gas

DeeJunFan

Hi Guys,

Some of you will have read my tale of woe regarding my ASHP breaking down and now needing to be replaced. 

I'm investigating my options in regards to replacing the ASHP but i'm still not 100% sure i'll be able to afford it.  

My back up option is to leave the ASHP behind and get a Gas boiler and storage tank fitted.  The boiler is much cheaper and in terms of upkeep and maintenance the knowledge base is much wider so would buy me some peace of mind. 

Our current pluming setup is ASHP feeding directly into the UFH manifolds, these are controlled by 2 zone stats (Upstairs/downstairs).  we are generally heat DHW with immersion but this would change if we went with gas.   But we have a 7 day programmable controller that can allow the ASHP to feed zone 1, 2 or DHW so shouldn't be any issue to get the boiler to feed the tank. 

The main query i would have is would we need to install a buffer tank to ensure we didn't short cycle the boiler?  i dont think i have ever heard of Water from a gas boiler going direct to the floor.  I know there will need to be a mixing valve to cool the water to a suitable temp for the floor but do we need to consider anything else? 

Cheers

D

Sounds good. 

Do you need a buffer tank or mixing valves etc with that?  Or does it have 2 heat outputs?   Also we have a fairly big house about 3500 sq/f so that might change things slightly. 

Cheers

Edited by DeeJunFan