Making our own window cills (sills)

ToughButterCup

"Yew've got two speeds lad, dead slow and stop"

Sergeant Williams commentary on my efforts during the Log Race  last Century. He was right. I am slow. But I get there.

Like I am slowly getting there with our windows. Slow, cautious.

Of course it helps if you have a brilliant mate called Ed who produces stuff like this for all to see.

Ed, could you please explain the build up of the connection between the window and the cill (sill) in the first few seconds. particulalrly, what's that stuff that appears to be under the window.... 0:07

Ta!

The window sits on the cill so it's not connected as such.

Because I wanted my windows as far back as possible the cill needed to bridge my cavity. The white board (orange arrow) was some offcuts of plastic soffit, it is just a formwork to hold the concrete until it went off but I chose that as it was waterproof and will never rot, black tape was just duct tape to seal all the edges. 

One bit you may not be able to see is I fitted some draught excluder on the back of the mould to stop the muck running down the wall (blue arrow) also in the bottom of the mould I tacked some cable to create a drip. 

Other than that they were as simple as they look. Hold the mould in the right place with clamps, fill them with your choice of sand/cement, vibrate them a Lot. Then remove once it's gone off. 

IMG_20200118_094924.jpg

I did a similar thing at my last house in the 90s. I made the mould out of melamine board and just to be sure I coated it in vegetable oil. I fixed a semi circular bead on the bottom of the mould near the front as a drip channel. It all worked as expected fortunately.

I thought I'd start small and make my mistakes on this small window (of which we have 3)

[Quick aside @craig (Ecowin) thought that Gaulhofer wouldn't be able to make windows this small - 600mm overall]

Here's the patient : the problem at this stage is similar to the one @Roz had .... here 

20200120_141814.thumb.jpg.b53f0e61c57c40f6c3023520b00e3d63.jpg

First job is strip back the foam to just a bit deeper than the frame, and CT1 along all four edges right?

Which leads to the first question - CT1 outside AND inside?

(Photos to follow.)

• Like 1

Ah @AnonymousBosch, so I take it that its a Gaulhofer window (which confounded @craig)?

Off topic I know, but could ask about the frame/glass ratio there?  Are those standard frame widths or are they a special request by you?

The reason I ask is because I will have four windows which are currently planned to be within 685mm apertures. But if the glass pane would end up being as narrow as the one in your photo I will be tempted to widen the aperture.

Edited by Dreadnaught

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

..., but could ask about the frame/glass ratio there?  Are those standard frame widths or are they a special request by you?

The ratio is as seen ... next to no glass, mostly frame.

Special request is a bit grand: they are what the architect specified.

CTI outside and inside?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I thought I'd start small and make my mistakes on this small window (of which we have 3)

[Quick aside @craig (Ecowin) thought that Gaulhofer wouldn't be able to make windows this small - 600mm overall]

Here's the patient : the problem at this stage is similar to the one @Roz had .... here 

20200120_141814.thumb.jpg.b53f0e61c57c40f6c3023520b00e3d63.jpg

First job is strip back the foam to just a bit deeper than the frame, and CT1 along all four edges right?

Which leads to the first question - CT1 outside AND inside?

(Photos to follow.)

Wtf? How small? D'you intend firing arrows through that?

Just a wee quick note @AnonymousBosch, those windows are less than 300mm (circa 295 if memory serves me right) ?

Regarding the work, you have 10mm tolerenace either side, plus 14mm of exposed frame. Totalling 24mm either side. What's the objective? I presume it's to finish of the returns with render at some point and make it look nice? They are narrow windows, so why not make it a feature? Pack out the returns by 50mm, then just bring the render into the aluminium cladding of the windows frame and finish it off with a render stop bead?

Result, less visible frame externally.

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1