CIL - could this be the end of my build?

With the recent posts about CIL, it's made me address this. When did it come into force? I got my permission in 2015 (IIRC) and I don't remember anything about CIL, only S106. Did CIL take over from the S106? I can't recall filling in any paperwork for CIL. Am I liable cos if I am at 20% of the house value at the end of my build, just no point in carrying on.

Cheers

Vijay

Edited by Vijay

Panic over, I can sleep tonight lol While looking through emails, I found one from the principal planning officer where there was a footnote on his emails:

CIL

Please note that South Northamptonshire Council adopted the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) on 21 October 2015.  This means that all liable developments granted planning permission, including those allowed by an appeal decision, on or after 1st April 2016 will need to pay the levy.  The CIL does not apply to liable developments that received permission before this date. 

The CIL will also apply to some developments that do not need planning permission if they are commenced on or after 1st April 2016.  

Charges will apply to developments of new houses AND to new residential and retail developments of over 100sqm. 

My decision date was 27/11/2015.

Thanks guys - genuinely thought the bottom had dropped out of my self build..............

1 hour ago, nod said:

In any case it’s not based on the final value 

Ours 19k Final built value 750k

I read that it was 20% of the finished valuation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vijay said:

Panic over, I can sleep tonight lol While looking through emails, I found one from the principal planning officer where there was a footnote on his emails:

CIL

Please note that South Northamptonshire Council adopted the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) on 21 October 2015.  This means that all liable developments granted planning permission, including those allowed by an appeal decision, on or after 1st April 2016 will need to pay the levy.  The CIL does not apply to liable developments that received permission before this date. 

The CIL will also apply to some developments that do not need planning permission if they are commenced on or after 1st April 2016.  

Charges will apply to developments of new houses AND to new residential and retail developments of over 100sqm. 

My decision date was 27/11/2015.

Thanks guys - genuinely thought the bottom had dropped out of my self build..............

I read that it was 20% of the finished valuation

Glad your sorted 

Any unexpected cost can be a Boddy blow 

No CIL or Section 106 Agreements in Scotland, but there is a Section 75, so check for that.

It doesn't apply to me, so I can't tell you too much about it, but it's part and parcel of the planning process - it won't have been hidden away so that you remain ignorant of it.