Timber Fixings Reference

Ben100

11 hours ago, Ben100 said:

Hi, is there a reference or UK standards document which details the fixing requirements for a timber frame house? For example nail types/sizes and method to use for stud to wall plate fixing?

cheers!

nothing in NHBC, https://nhbc-standards.co.uk/6-superstructure-excluding-roofs/6-2-external-timber-framed-walls/6-2-4-load-bearing-walls/ 95mm galv nail gun nails would be fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

TRADA produce loads of this type of information. You need to be a member to access it though. Link below -

https://www.trada.co.uk/publications/wood-information-sheets/fasteners-for-structural-timber-nails-staples-screws-dowels-and-bolts/

The TRADA site seems to have some great information, but ~£500 membership fee is a little steep.

Is it that much? Sorry, I'm not a member and don't have access. I've always come across their Wood Information Sheets on Google when checking bits and pieces but only ever seen the freely available info which is always really good. My understanding is that a lot of the good timber frame suppliers are members so if you are friendly with one of them... probably a very long shot unless any forum readers are members. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2020 at 09:47, Ben100 said:

Hi, is there a reference or UK standards document which details the fixing requirements for a timber frame house? For example nail types/sizes and method to use for stud to wall plate fixing?

cheers!

There isn’t a standard per se, but for most it will be down to the SEng and the manufacturer to advise. SEng will be looking for a minimum hold down strength, and that will be from a set of known values for nailing schedules. 

Are you looking to try and build / design your own structure ..?

On 22/01/2020 at 07:06, PeterW said:

There isn’t a standard per se, but for most it will be down to the SEng and the manufacturer to advise. SEng will be looking for a minimum hold down strength, and that will be from a set of known values for nailing schedules. 

Are you looking to try and build / design your own structure ..?

I have a design from Cullen Timber Design and some of the fixing information from the SE, but nothing on fixing the actual 6x2 timbers. From what I've read 90mm first fix nails will do the job.