UFH at first floor level (timber)

Moonshine

I am beginning to put together ideas for my house build (if i do it) and one thing that i want to do is put underfloor hearing in to the new build.

At ground floor its likely to be a beam and block / slab, so UFH can go in a screed. However at first floor i don't know if UFH is really needed in all areas as it will be mainly carpeted (bedrooms), and i presume that you will get warmth from the nicely heated rooms below (hopefully).

However there is a bathroom and en-suite which will have a hard floor and would be nice to have these heated. how would this be done on a timber floor, and best to do it wet or elec for limited areas (circa 7.5m2 total free floor area in bathroom and en-suite)

You are probably best with Electric matting in the bathrooms 

We have BB on the ground floor with 150m2 of UFH 

We put rads in each bedroom and a fancy tall stainless in each of the three bathrooms 

We are on our second winter and still haven’t used the first floor heating 

I have wet UFH under the bathroom and en-suite using spreader plates under the floor, then tiles.  Not difficult to do.

The bedrooms have no heating and so far have not needed any. I included cabling to fit electric panel heaters, but like others who have done the same, I have not needed to fit them.

This is how I did it.  Not actually much heated area as it does not go under the bath or the shower.

Bathroom_UFH.thumb.jpg.0b2ddc51bb34732f382e6849a869a2c6.jpg

51 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

However there is a bathroom and en-suite which will have a hard floor and would be nice to have these heated. how would this be done on a timber floor, and best to do it wet or elec for limited areas (circa 7.5m2 total free floor area in bathroom and en-suite)

Exactly what I have done recently - use a 100w/mmat and it will be fine.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have wet UFH under the bathroom and en-suite using spreader plates under the floor, then tiles.  Not difficult to do.

The bedrooms have no heating and so far have not needed any. I included cabling to fit electric panel heaters, but like others who have done the same, I have not needed to fit them.

This is how I did it.  Not actually much heated area as it does not go under the bath or the shower.

Bathroom_UFH.thumb.jpg.0b2ddc51bb34732f382e6849a869a2c6.jpg

Which pipe is that? looks flexible to go the route you have done. I'm looking for UFH and have got to thread through metal web joists a lot

I did wonder, I guess I'm looking for some plastic barrier pipe to allow threading without work-hardening like the PEX Al PEX probably will.

I did ask Wundafloor, but they didn't seem to offer anything.

33 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Out of interest do you use the ufh much?

The whole UFH system is powered by an ASHP and only comes on when the temps drop below whatever it is, we have set the various rooms for.

That said, two of the bedrooms are simply guest rooms so not in use for best part of the year. Therefore the temps are set at a level that they very rarely come on during the winter months, as it is pointless heating a room not used so to speak. The same is said of the "guest" bathroom but for our bedroom and en suite, the heating is set to come on more regularly. 

They are set at no higher than 20 degrees and I have to say I only notice the heating coming during the late afternoon / early evening. The en-suite has a stone covered floor and I am more than happy to walk bare footed on this even in the mornings.