The Old Water Tank - Mk2

jamiehamy

Hi all, 

Thought I'd post it in here - I've been on and off since we finished building our house - today we got granted planning permission to build a house on top of our garage. The plan is to run it as holiday accomodation - there's a real lack of high quality, detached self catering accomodation here, despite being 45mins from Glasgow Airport, Loch Lomond, umpteen golf courses, 4 ferries and some of the best scenery in Scotland. Where the garage is situated was actually a former filtration tank - part of the wall has been retained. Roof was rated back when we built it at 10kN loading, so more than enough for this. Walls are 250mm reinforced concrete - could probably put a good few stories up!

Put in plans in December and got the outcome in a month flat - pretty impressive. 

We will likely be building the walls with Polarwall ICF again, with posi joist roof - I have some learnings from the main house in terms of detail, but overall will be very similar - I think we'll do the EPDM roof again as well. It will be triple glazing but most likely going for uPVC triple glazing from a local supplier. 

Will post updates as we go along. We don't know if we'll start this year or next - would rather have all the funds ready. Last house we did for around £900 m2, and aiming to get this one much lower than that (we do most of the work except electrics and groundworks). 

My biggest worry will be the electricity supply - I think we'll need a new one to the site - I wanted 3 phase originally but wasn't permitted - will need to try get one this time - one phase for house, one for garage and one for new house. 

82973118_10156695082465927_6075935674958086144_o.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

My biggest worry will be the electricity supply - I think we'll need a new one to the site - I wanted 3 phase originally but wasn't permitted - will need to try get one this time - one phase for house, one for garage and one for new house. 

in a very similar situation, have a cabin, two houses and a glorified shed and only two supplies, however someone not so far away looked into three phase and got an estimate of over £100k...... not sure of the circumstances but this would be a game stopper for me. I am hoping to find a friendly local electric person to tell me what the transformer is capable of on the pole outside my house.....  

I have 3 phases coming into my 500sq ft bungalow !!!. Only 1 is in use by me at the moment. I hav'nt  looked into it yet, but i want them moved to the other side of the new house into the extension. The distance will be about 20mt. I bet it will cost to get all three phases moved. I believe the cable costs a fortune. Good luck with your garage top up build.