Alternative accommodation - caravan

I'm having a bit of an argument with my mum. Our build we believe will be about 4-5 months (let's say 6 months worse case). As a large proportion of this is an extension to our existing bungalow the builder has indicated for two to three months at least we could continue to live in the existing bungalow without any issue or impact on them and even when we move out some parts would still be liveable but we probably wouldn't want to dust etc.

For the remaining 3 months we need to find somewhere to live. Between family members, working away etc we could manage but really want some base rather than being nomads for 3 months. There are limited options to rent close by although a neighbour has a very basic studio we could possibly rent but when I say basic I mean basic with no cooking facilities, literally a small shower room, a bed and a kitchen sink and cupboard not to mention part of it being her utility with washer/dryer which she needs access too and a noisy dos neighbours attached to her have warned us about. It's not cheap and although being on site is appealing it seems a sacrifice too far.

We can't get a static over the canal bridge down our lane but we could get a touring caravan over. If we were to put it next to one of our outbuildings we would be using for storage we would have power and could keep things like our freezer in there and things we couldn't fit in the caravan etc and it seems far more appealing than the studio option. I'm just having a debate with my parents on if you need planning permission for this if it was in our garden... I know we do for a static but do you for a touring caravan?

Strictly you should get temporary permission for a caravan for habitation, but frankly for such a short duration I would not bother.  If anyone kicks up a fuss, the council can't evict you straight away, the first enforcement would be to make you apply for PP for it, and chances are you would be finished using it before that was even determined, so if you made it clear it was only temporary I bet they would not bother.

As a Touring caravan used in relation to the house it's storage there is covered by permitted development.

So just buy the largest one you can get over the bridge and get on with it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Strictly you should get temporary permission for a caravan for habitation, but frankly for such a short duration I would not bother.  If anyone kicks up a fuss, the council can't evict you straight away, the first enforcement would be to make you apply for PP for it, and chances are you would be finished using it before that was even determined, so if you made it clear it was only temporary I bet they would not bother.

As a Touring caravan used in relation to the house it's storage there is covered by permitted development.

So just buy the largest one you can get over the bridge and get on with it.

That's what I was thinking, largest we can get over the bridge. Sticking up an awning on the side would probably be a giveaway we were living in it so perhaps avoid that! 

It just keeps things easy being on site and not having to shift everything miles away.

You do not need PP for any caravan as long as it’s not a separate dwelling (I.e. you use a toilet in the house) it would be difficult for the council to prove you were not anyway. I put a static next to our build after the original bungalow burnt down, didn’t ask for PP. I was asked fir council tax but proved I was paying council tax in Bristol (wife still working and living there) and told them it was “builders facilities “. No problem.

• Thanks 1

Just now, canalsiderenovation said:

That's what I was thinking, largest we can get over the bridge. Sticking up an awning on the side would probably be a giveaway we were living in it so perhaps avoid that! 

It just keeps things easy being on site and not having to shift everything miles away.

Don't want the CRT sticky beaks putting their oar in.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jamieled said:

We've had a touring caravan on our site for over a year now without planning permission. Nobody had batted an eyelid.

We are out in the sticks a bit though.

We are alongside a canal, rural but a popular spot so there would be no avoiding it but we could site it where it was a bit more secluded. The neighbours wouldn't have an issue, CRT may complain but they complain about everything!

Edited by canalsiderenovation

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You do not need PP for any caravan as long as it’s not a separate dwelling (I.e. you use a toilet in the house) it would be difficult for the council to prove you were not anyway. I put a static next to our build after the original bungalow burnt down, didn’t ask for PP. I was asked fir council tax but proved I was paying council tax in Bristol (wife still working and living there) and told them it was “builders facilities “. No problem.

Ah ok thanks. To be honest we would use as much of the facilities in the house as we could get away with as long as they were functional in between descending on my parents/in laws....

I downloaded this leaflet from Wyre Forest Council a while back - I guess the rules apply across the country. Alas it's undated, but I see that the same information is still available on their website (though not, seemingly, in leaflet form).

AL14_Caravans.pdf

The first paragraph on page 2, "Within the curtilage of a dwelling", would seem to apply to you. And...

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

told them it was “builders facilities “.

would probably be covered by page 6, "Building and Engineering Sites".

In any case, it's hard to think that any of the cash strapped councils would be able to get around to serving you with an enforcement notice in the time scale you're talking about.

• Thanks 2

I have a hobby caravan as it was the biggest I could buy and still get on a small barge..... plus fit down a very narrow  road, they are about a foot wider than a lot of the other vans and that extra foot goes a long way to making it feel a bit more spacious. If I had the funds I would buy another one for random guests as space is at a premium right now......     

I think neighbours would be unlikely to object as it would be pretty obvious why you had moved into a caravan in your OWN garden 

If the council where to  e informed on the very first day 

I can’t imagine any council working so quickly as to evict you within six months 

Most on here will have experienced how Slowwwww

County Counsels work 

Buy one and stick a sign saying “SITE OFFICE” in big letters on the outside. 

Most councils don’t work after 5pm at night so they will just never know you’re using it as a home too ...

Try and find one with a separate bedroom too - makes it much nicer to have space to go to away from the crap etc. 

I’d recommend you get a Utility Shed, I knocked one up out of weather board. We keep the washer, dryer, our work wear, boots, veg and little used stuff in there. I also use it as a changing room, so I’m not trudging dirt into our living space at the end of each day.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

I’d recommend you get a Utility Shed, I knocked one up out of weather board. We keep the washer, dryer, our work wear, boots, veg and little used stuff in there. I also use it as a changing room, so I’m not trudging dirt into our living space at the end of each day.

We are lucky in that we have an outbuilding which was used as a 'shop' that the previous owner sold nick knacks from. It needs knocking down and it's where our double garage will eventually go, but it is watertight with power and we are planning to do as you say and store pretty much everything in there and as well as clothes rails.

We want to keep it on a budget but we can start to explore it as a potential option....