Glass canopy for front door

vivienz

On 18/01/2020 at 11:52, Temp said:

I'd be concerned about water pouring through the gap between house and glass?

I’d be more concerned about it looking like a bus stop or smoking shelter ?

@vivienz, regarding water creeping-in under your front door, does your front door have a bottom drip detail (a.k.a. a weatherboard, rain deflector, or rain deflector)? Could you post a photo of the bottom section of your front door?

I recall that @mvincentd had an issue with such a detail. 

This door has one as an example:

1593901633_Screenshot2020-01-20at08_31_49.png.444cee46a7ba5dc38d69805089203d84.png

Edited by Dreadnaught

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

@vivienz, regarding water creeping-in under your front door, does your front door have a bottom drip detail (a.k.a. a weatherboard, rain deflector, or rain deflector)? Could you post a photo of the bottom section of your front door?

This door has one as an example:

1593901633_Screenshot2020-01-20at08_31_49.png.444cee46a7ba5dc38d69805089203d84.png

I will add a photo later, but the door has exactly the same thing as the one in the photo.  Without the letter box and the pooch.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vivienz said:

You splendid fellow! That may well be arriving soon - thanks!

Just a word of caution.  It seems that the "glass" panel is only 4mm thick, so that means it won't be glass, but some type of plastic, as there's no way a 4mm thick glass panel would be OK in that configuration.  It's a cleverly worded advert, as it seems to avoid using the word "glass", yet sort of implies it is.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Just a word of caution.  It seems that the "glass" panel is only 4mm thick, so that means it won't be glass, but some type of plastic, as there's no way a 4mm thick glass panel would be OK in that configuration.  It's a cleverly worded advert, as it seems to avoid using the word "glass", yet sort of implies it is.

I found this: https://palramapplications.com/product/nancy-door-awning/

• POLYCARBONATE PANEL – 4mm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Ah, good spot, Jeremy. I shall consider further. I have the details of a place in Southampton that I will ring tomorrow. They do all things balustrade and of that nature.

Place I use for glass is Go Glass in Cambridge. They don't list glass canopies on their web site but its the sort of place that could probably source fixings and make glass to your dimensions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Yes, and on 1st complaint the door people proposed adding a drip bar to the bottom of the door, much like that pictured example.  I argued this circumvented rather than solved the inadequate seal between door and threshold (as well as introducing an aesthetic I didn't want).  Eventually they fitted a different threshold which works fine...the essential difference being it's solid unlike the original one which dished, bowed and otherwise deformed.

@vivienz if you want a canopy fine, but it does sound like your door/threshold is underperforming.

Thanks, chaps. All in hand - Norrsken are here as I type, they have replaced the seal and are tweaking the door. It seems that the seal put on the door during manufacture was less than ideal but it should be fine now.

As has been said so many times, it's not so much that problems happen but how they are dealt with and Norrsken's customer service has been excellent.

But I still want a canopy.

Edited by vivienz

9 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Could the same be advised for rooflights I wonder? And maybe even windows too while we're at it?

I've used Rain-X on house windows.  Works well, and seems to last longer than when used on a car windscreens, maybe a couple of years or so. 

Only thing to watch is that the windows will still spot if just rinsed off with tap water (hard or soft), as the beads of water left behind by Rain-X will dry and leave behind rings of solids.  Rinsing with deionised water gets around this, and doesn't need much water.  A spray bottle filled with deionised water will rinse off several windows.  Not hard to make your own deionised water, either, plus you can rejuvenate DI resin to save having to keep buying the stuff.  Rejuvenating it just needs sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid (often sold as brick cleaner).  I have a small deionised water filter that I made up for car washing ages ago, but am about to knock up a slightly bigger one, that will fit on a hose pipe.  Should make rinsing off windows (and the car) easier.

• Like 1

Mind you, it is possible to go too far with these things.  The shower at our old house was a horrible thing to clean and we had hard water to make it worse.  OH came up with a great idea in principle and gave the inside of the screen a good coat of carnuba wax to make it easier to clean.  It was easier, but also smelled very strongly (and unpleasantly) of oily polish every time a shower was had.

38 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Mind you, it is possible to go too far with these things.  The shower at our old house was a horrible thing to clean and we had hard water to make it worse.  OH came up with a great idea in principle and gave the inside of the screen a good coat of carnuba wax to make it easier to clean.  It was easier, but also smelled very strongly (and unpleasantly) of oily polish every time a shower was had.

The shower screen I fitted here is made from coated, self-cleaning glass, that doesn't need much, if any, cleaning at all.  So far it's working perfectly, all it seems to need is a spray over with water to rinse off any soap/shampoo splashed.  I've not yet had to use any cleaning stuff on it, or even go over it with a squeegee.  I don't think that the coated glass screen was much more expensive than ordinary glass, either.  It certainly wasn't mega expensive, as if it had been I'd probably not have bought it.