Weyroc and bathroom tiling

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

Does anyone have experience of tiling floors made of Weyroc Protect (water resistant particleboard). The manufacturer states that it can be tiled directly onto, our tiler wants to put down a layer of ply first. I'm tempted to agree with him but would appreciate any thoughts.

Edit:- Should point out that the Weyroc is completely flat and very stable, any additional layer will be to aid adhesion rather than as a structural element

If you want a middle ground and the floors have been glued and screwed, not nailed, then just use Ditra mat ;)

Thinner than ply and completely decouples the tiles from the substrate. 

Edit to add: no experience of the above mentioned sorry. 

FYI, I'd NEVER risk tiling onto wooden flooring of any kind without a 'movement mitigation' strategy. 

Guest Alphonsox

Thanks Nick, I have never come across Ditra mat looks to be exactly what we need. Do you know if it can be used with electric UFH mats ?

• 7 months later...
Guest Alphonsox

The tiler won the discussion in our build. He stated that he would be happier tiling onto ply so we now have Weyroc topped with a thin ply sheet followed by an electric UFH mat, followed by tiles. All very robust and stable. For the price of a sheet of ply it didn't seem worth an argument. 

26 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

The tiler won the discussion in our build. He stated that he would be happier tiling onto ply so we now have Weyroc topped with a thin ply sheet followed by an electric UFH mat, followed by tiles. All very robust and stable. For the price of a sheet of ply it didn't seem worth an argument. 

Im tending to agree, 3mm Ply and piece of mind, or trust BAL Super Flex tile adhesive which is an expensive bag of science that I'll probably never understand.  Cost wise likely to be little in it vs buying ply and a cheaper adhesive.  The floor build up is a worry though.