Position of stopcock

Ian Phillips

After some opinions on where people would put the mains water stopcock coming into the house. Current thinking is in the utility room, but im open to any input! The services entrance into the house is through the garage. I have attached some plans to make it a bit easier to see.

Cheers.

first.thumb.PNG.fd551e0934a9e810a5848f7b6b594ff2.PNGground.thumb.PNG.83adca809b8415c4196c2bdb5e9eeec7.PNG

I think a whole house feed in the garage would be a good idea if that is where you plan on bringing in the services. Looking at it I think I would create a mains feed in, then have a ground and first split off with 2 more separate isolators, for the sake of another say £15 you then have cold water isolation to ground and first - probably come in handy when you start your build maybe getting a bathroom fired up without full plumbing yet being complete or the kitchen sink etc. 

Another option I quite like is the manifold option, however, it makes sense to have the hot and cold together so I am not sure where you intend on putting your DHW source? 

If you split it by floor you could have your kitchen, utility and shower room all tied in nicely via fairly simple run, then the first floor feed straight up into the floor void, into the en-suites and baths with another nice simple run across the floor. 

I would also put in motorised isolation valves for each floor, but that is just me and part of my plan to automate the house with "Holiday Mode" which includes, among heating and electrical and lighting modes the isolation of water systems - may seem mad but I think it makes sense. 

58 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Gather that one outside is mandatory too? Just in case? 

Utility will install one at the point it comes off of their network and onto the private pipework so it will be there anyway. Utility wouldn't just stick a piece of pipe into their network and directly into his house or he would have no way of disconnecting network water from his pipework.

Cheers for all the help and advice, looks like the main MDPE pipe will be coming up into the garage with a stopcock there. This can then hopefully run up next to the soil pipe in the corner of the garage to the other rooms.

I also have a couple of CAT5E cables coming in from the front gate to the same position as its in the same trench albeit in ducting with a drawcord.

11 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Another option I quite like is the manifold option, however, it makes sense to have the hot and cold together so I am not sure where you intend on putting your DHW source? 

@CarrerahillThe hot water cylinder will be on the first floor in the airing cupboard.

Edited by Ian Phillips