1 x 0.5 metre twinwall solid pipe,

1 x   rain cap with bird guard,

1 x ceiling cover plate,

1 x new lead flashing kit,

1 x storm collar,

1 x universal bracing kit,

2 x wall brackets plus 100mm offsets,

1 x carbon monoxide alarm,

1 x data plate, 1 x hetas certificate....£1480.00 No vat to add.

Edited by pocster

53 minutes ago, pocster said:

Another more sensible quote 

That’s a bit better and if you take into consideration coming out to quote, purchasing all the right bits, install and clean up and a wage for two people + the expense of running a company then it’s probably about the best your going to get. If you don’t have the time or interest to do it yourself and can write of the cash then it’s a quick way to get the job done. Simple.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are you likely to be looking at for a woodburning stove plus flue (which in our case needs to go through the first floor and out the roof, boxed in on the first floor)? Watching an old Building the Dream and Charlie Luxton says not including a stove will save 5k - that about right?

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Probably £2K in total here.

Why does it need boxing in through the first floor?

Thanks, at that price it's still worth doing.

Planning requires it goes out through the roof in what will be a living area with a vaulted ceiling - I don't think 4m of flue without a stove attached to it will be much to look at. 

Edited by eandg

Just now, ProDave said:

Just pleasantly warm to the touch at low level and barely warm at all higher up.

Manufacturer says you must maintain 50mm gap to flamable material but I reckon you could sit a box of matches on it without problem.

Cheers. Binge watching now and on the latest episode he's saying 6-7 grand! 

2 hours ago, eandg said:

What are you likely to be looking at for a woodburning stove plus flue (which in our case needs to go through the first floor and out the roof, boxed in on the first floor)? Watching an old Building the Dream and Charlie Luxton says not including a stove will save 5k - that about right?

not sure about the flu but a good stove will cost you £1000 + you can get cheeper but you would need to do some serious research to avoid getting a bad one. 

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Nine goes through a bedroom

flue_pipe_4.thumb.jpg.52953e236bbd9368577864beb5a6c7f6.jpg

flue_pipe_6.thumb.jpg.8d34a63f7ce1e8e69550a432af51ac13.jpg

how much gap around the flu where it goes through the roof? I presume there is no insulation here and I’m wondering if it creates a cold bridge/area?

on the quote: I insulated 2 stoves in my last house and for BC to sign off at about £900 each. However I wouldn’t do it that cheap agin in my build. I’ll be being good money in a top of the line stove as the cheap stoves I got (that looked great) where not effecient and drew too much air/difficult to control well. Plus I don’t think they’ll last 20 years. Stoves are basic things but in my experience there is a difference between the cheap and top ends.

28 minutes ago, gc100 said:

I’ll be being good money in a top of the line stove as the cheap stoves I got (that looked great) where not effecient and drew too much air/difficult to control well. Plus I don’t think they’ll last 20 years. Stoves are basic things but in my experience there is a difference between the cheap and top ends.

I have been using the Pioneer 400 for 8 years, it been used more than just to look pretty as it’s my main heat source.....  it’s the best stove I have ever used as it’s very very economical, I can build a fire in the morning with wood, top up with anthracite and that’s it for the WHOLE day. Come the next morning it will still be warm. Unbelievable. I have installed two others for family and friends. Not sure if it would work with MVHR as they are not room sealed.  I have the pioneer 400 not the 400p 

i had another £1000 wood burner that was rubbish as it drew to much air even on the lowest setting..... designed to meet modern regulations I suspect as it burns hotter and cleaner..... but of no use to me as I could NOT afford the large volume of fuel to keep warm. (I live in a rundown uninsulated farm house.....) 

https://www.clearviewstoves.com/stove-details/pioneer-400p

2 hours ago, gc100 said:

how much gap around the flu where it goes through the roof? I presume there is no insulation here and I’m wondering if it creates a cold bridge/area?

on the quote: I insulated 2 stoves in my last house and for BC to sign off at about £900 each. However I wouldn’t do it that cheap agin in my build. I’ll be being good money in a top of the line stove as the cheap stoves I got (that looked great) where not effecient and drew too much air/difficult to control well. Plus I don’t think they’ll last 20 years. Stoves are basic things but in my experience there is a difference between the cheap and top ends.

Where I bought the flue from https://www.flue-pipes.com/ they sell an insulating sleeve.

insulated_sleeve.thumb.jpg.712c703403558ff120567bfdb9175b2d.jpg

This is clearly made of a non flamable material and / or certified by the manufacturer for this purpose and is 6cm thick,  This means that anything, including flamable materials can be in contact with the outside of this sleeve as they are the required distance from the flue.  So you can seal up the hole around the sleeve and get an air tight penetration.

Our chosen stove was a Medip Stoves Churchill convection model. Rated at 4.5Kw it has a ducted air intake for both primary and secondary air so is room sealed. so no vents needed to let cold air into your room.  We are very pleased with it. I can honestly say this is the first stove we have ever had, that genuinely keeps it's glass clear, I have never had to touch the glass or clean it at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, pocster said:

Do I pack the hole through the ceiling with Earth wool ?

37B3B314-0FC8-4437-AD3C-8A56A1861984.jpeg

That won't pass build regs I think. There is a min distance allow to combustible materials. Something like 400 centres between - I can't remember off the top of my head.

Assuming that is TWIN wall then it will be the manufacturers specification, which is usually something like 50mm or 60mm to combustibles. So some more of that celotex will need trimming a bit more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Assuming that is TWIN wall then it will be the manufacturers specification, which is usually something like 50mm or 60mm to combustibles. So some more of that celotex will need trimming a bit more.

Ok . So I can cut the celotex back to allow 60mm gap . Do I then fill the gap with Earth wool - I assume it’s non combustible 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If you had bought them from the place I did, you could have bought an "insulating sleeve" made just for that job.  Oh look only 1 post up.

Yeah but you posted that on Feb 9th ?. I never read back through a thread ?

Check the regs for boxing in.  I am sure it needs to be ventilated, needs access for inspection, and needs a CO alarm (at least in a recent new build I was tasked with installing a CO alarm in a flue void)