Bang Bang went the switch: another fine mess.

Schmoozing your wife while cooking together is inevitably affected by an exploding cooker switch innit? 

This is the miscreant - miserable thing hasn't even got the decency to show any damage - or have blown a fuse or anything.

20200115_093859.thumb.jpg.337a7b486090e5408898136b8f6b1598.jpg20200115_093538.thumb.jpg.917adce163047217e24c8f2466f49f16.jpg

Look at it, not a mark on it........ (greasy, yes, but otherwise intact)

Namelss, generic cooker hood, at least 15 years old, took 30 minutes to extract from the hood part of that time  required me to lie on my back on the kitchen surface and work  as if I was replacing parts on the underside of a car.

Nearly went to sleep.

Doesnt look like its meant to be replaced because the slider (rheostat? top red and blue wires) is soldered , not push fit connectors like the rest.

Bin the cooker hood?

Ask @Onoff or @ProDave to travel the length of the UK to fit a new one? Cos they'll do it right first time.

DIYable?

If it's the "slide potentiometer"  that's failed I'd try and get it out as it might be replaceable.  Hard to tell from the photo if it just clips out.

If that's not possible try working out if min or max resistance corresponds to max speed. eg shorting the two wires together may put it in the max speed position permanently.

If there is any writing on it that may give you the resistance allowing you to replace it with a fixed value for permanent half speed.

They usually have two little screws on the front, one each end. The resistance will be in ohms or kilohms. For example:

Screenshot_20200115-114144_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb9439fabaed76dfe39a9f1353d6bc40.jpg

They come as linear or logarithmic, "lin" or "log". Should be a watts rating too. 

It will be a low resistance probably wire wound pot.

Try googling any part numbers you can find, search on ebay etc.

I had the run around with a failed cooker hood recently, I just kept telling the customer, get a new one from Howdens.  Trouble was, the cooker hood had been fitted to the wall and then tiled around it. So virtually irreplaceable without re tiling.

I ended up taking the entire "works" out of it, bringing it home and operating on it on the bench.  It was a failed connection inside the motor, yes I was as surprised as anyone else that I managed to fix it.

Top Tip:  EVERYTHING inside will be caked in grease and will be horrible to work on.  White Spirit is your answer, the grease will just wipe away, far more effective than all the so called degreasers and oven cleaners.

Though I am not sure I would clean the inside of a gas oven with white spirit ........