Soft close toilet seat hinges

Temp

I'm looking at a new WC pan and seat. Pan is cheap enough but surprised how much the different versions of the seat costs. All same make and intended for the pan...

Standard seat with plastic hinges is £18

with metal hinges £37

with soft close hinges £62  (up to £104 list from Travis Perkins!)

Am I nuts to pay £62 for a seat with soft close hinges?

2 hours ago, oldkettle said:

[...]

I am struggling to stop a cheap seat from Costco from quickly becoming loose on our Ideal Standard pan. 

And in my case cracking -invisibly- with the inevitable happening.

On initial contact , the crack opened and on   -how to put this,   ermmm ?- under full pressure the crack closed. 

Firmly.

Clenching its nasty teeth into my withers.

Stop being a girl, Ian. And stop screaming. I did. 

To help me stop screaming I got up - well, started to get up - with yet again - the inevitable happening.

Oh shit!

Exactly.

Jump in the shower.

Jump into trousers

Off to an interview.

Sat in the lobby for ever it seemed.

"Do come in we're ready for you now"

Stood up.

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo. That hurts

Trousers stuck to my leg with blood.

Which had trickled through and also stuck to the seat.

@Temp  - buy the most expensive loo seat money can buy.  You know it makes sense. Honest.

• Haha 3

Had to chuckle, @AnonymousBosch, as much the same happened to me when I was a small boy, staying at my granny's old Victorian house.  The downstairs toilet had a massive polished mahogany seat, that was probably as old as the house.  Unfortunately it had split, right at the front edge, and nipped my tackle in the gap as I went to get up. 

No lasting damage was done, but I still clearly remember the embarrassment of having to yell for my granny to come and rescue me, as I was securely held by the crack in the seat.  I must have been about 9 or 10 at the time, and still remember it clearly, nearly 60 years later. 

Funny thing memory, we always seem able to recall the really embarrassing things in life with crystal clarity, but some of the more enjoyable things seem to fade a bit with time.  I also very clearly remember being slapped around the face by a girl I was going out with when I was about 15.  All I'd done was try and feel her tits...

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

All I'd done was try and feel her tits...

You Sir need to sit through the consent video my 13 year old daughter had to watch at school the other day. Apparently all the kids and teachers were cracking up whilst the health professionals brought in were trying to be deadly serious. This is a hoot:

Told SWMBO I'd like to try coffee for a change...

• Haha 1

That, is absolutely hilarious.

I get the point being made, and it's a very good one, but they could have cut about 50% of the content out and got the message across more effectively.  There's only so far you can push the rather tenuous analogy between tea and sex, and this video pushed it just that bit too far, IMHO.

The great conundrum when I was a teenager wasn't really about consent, as such, as 99.99% of the time it always seemed to be the girls that were totally in charge.  The real problem was trying to work out when no really meant yes, which a fair bit of the time it did.  There was some sort of mysterious pantomime that had to be gone through, because the social norm was that no one should openly admit to wanting something (and not just sex) when initially asked.  Confusing as hell, as I recall.  Not sure I've ever really worked out what it was all about, even now.

I suspect that things have at least now become more open, so having conversations about this stuff may be a bit easier for kids today than it was years ago.  I remember meeting up with a girl I'd known at school, around 20 years or so after we'd both left and gone our own ways.  I'd fancied her at school, but she seemed completely uninterested.  It was only when we met up years later that she asked me why I'd never asked her out, as she'd apparently fancied me like mad back then, although there was absolutely no outward sign of this that I ever saw.

That had me laughing out loud.

Why were they making tea in a coffee pot, and pouring it into a tea cup resembling a collander?

And Jeremy highlights the dilemma that we all faced in our formative years.  How to find a partner without being accused of sex crimes.  No wonder so many now "bat for the other side"

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

bat for the other side

Whoa! Can't say that now. I know these things, just back from an LGBTQ+ sensitivity presentation for parents at the school.

1800 kids at the school and FIVE parents turned up!

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Whoa! Can't say that now. I know these things, just back from an LGBTQ+ sensitivity presentation for parents at the school.

I know we must accept that, and it's okay. But my Daughter is being taught about all sorts of relationships at school EXCEPT heterosexual.  We are in danger of teaching our children that heterosexual is "wrong"

We are doing our best at home to teach her that is not the case.

If my daughter grows up to be something other than heterosexual, then that is fine if that is genuinely how she feels, but NOT if it is because that is what she has been taught she must be.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bit different from when my school decided to introduce sex education (run by the deputy headmistress, who was also the RE teacher).  The reason for introducing it was because the pregnancy rate, particularly in the fourth year, was relatively high.  They didn't dare introduce sex education to children as young as the fourth years, though, so they decided it would only be for the sixth year pupils.  I was one at the time, and, at a guess, every single sixth form pupil's parents turned up for the meeting, that was, by all accounts pretty heated.

The decision was that there would be a trial introduction of sex education to the lower sixth, and it was hilarious.  The deputy headmistress was a 50-something spinster, and I'll always remember her acute embarrassment, and the fact that she ended the "lesson" by saying "this seems like a lot of fuss over 30 seconds of unpleasantness", which was followed by a few of my class making comments like "sounds like you're doing it wrong, miss".  At which point she lost control, and left the class, with a bright crimson face.  We didn't have any more proper sex education classes, it was decided to teach the subject in biology instead.

• Like 1

Eh, agreed it's too long but the comparison works fairly well. And while perhaps age/experience allows you to understand the subtleties between "maybe" and "no", especially when you're young, both the 'sender' and the 'receiver' of the messages often don't really know what they want. 

If anything the culture around 'when misunderstandings happen' amplifies everything out of proportion. Some things are obvious, (force is used) but even an honest youthful mistake will haunt you for the rest of your life.. happy that I'm sorted ;)