MVHR in large volume New Build

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

Can anyone explain anti-static plastic ducting, what makes it anti-static?

Dunno about plastic ducting but in other applications (aircraft tyres) rubber is made antistatic by embedding carbon black in it to make it slightly conductive. I expect they do something similar.

4 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I think the ducting is just a different colour so they know to charge you more! Worked on me

Just what I was thinking. When I placed the order I stated standard plastic duct but they priced for the “pro” duct at £55 extra per roll,  adding £490 to the total cost! I’m now sorting that out with them.

Edited by Triassic

What colour is the cheaper ducting? If it's green or purple then it could well made by Blauberg which I found much less flexible (and even prone to kinking if pushing the radius limit) than the red Airflow offering. Of course if you won't be having any tight bends (ideal for airflow anyway) then this may not matter. That said, whatever it is that makes it less flexible might have other consequences. 

• 3 months later...

Just spent a few hours on this topic. This is a very useful thread. There is a good pdf at the Vent Axia website that breaks down the sizing requirements, with a simple equation based on building regs.

http://www.vent-axia.com/sites/default/files/part_fand_l_brochure_web.pdf

Page 13.

For my own benefit, this is what I think it said. Take the total floor space x 0.3 l/s = Minimum Supply amount. Then add up the building regs minimum for the Extract rooms, e.g. Kitchen=13 l/s, Bathroom=8 l/s, WC=6 l/s, Utility=8 l/s. This is the Minimum Extract amount. The Extract amount must be at least equal to the Supply, but can be greater. Add the two together and this is the total l/s the MVHR must be able to supply to satisfy building regs. It looks too simple.

Edited by Nick Laslett