Preferred floor membrane/DPC overlap width.

epsilonGreedy

This question relates to a block & beam suspended floor.

My brickie has given me a materials shopping list before he starts and has specified 450mm dpc that will be used on the inner 100mm wide block wall and taken down to the internal floor where it will overlap with the floor membrane under the 150mm of floor insulation. Two other builds nearby used 600mm dpc in the same situation to create a bigger overlap.

The numbers (no inner-outer cavity tray) are:

100mm wide block.

225mm high inner block.

125mm wide membrane overlap with 450mm dpc

Or

275mm wide membrane overlap with 600mm dpc

Should I go with the brickie's shopping list or 600mm to create an extra 6" of overlap?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

3 hours ago, Oz07 said:

he wont have a problem with you going wider its upto you. Reccomended overlap 200?

Your only problem with going wider is it does tend to get damaged if your not really careful 

3 hours ago, nod said:

My set up was pretty similar to yours I used 300 hi load dpc 

nice and easy to join Standard dpc goes floppy and is prone to damage

"300 hi load dpc" noted, I will check that out.

Looking at your photos I get the impression the dpc sandwiched under the block has a short 100mm to 200mm flap hanging down and this short flap is then lapped with a second wider intermediate section that takes the dpc down to the floor where there will be a second lap to the main DPM on the floor.

2 hours ago, nod said:

Your only problem with going wider is it does tend to get damaged if your not really careful

This was one of my concerns particularly in a small room and where there could be a delay during first fix work before the ground floor is screeded.