I need to pick a kitchen, recommendations welcome!

Carrerahill

Easy one really, now the kitchen building is ready for a kitchen I am keen to crack on, there is a plethora of manufacturers and I guess I could just go and find a couple of manufactures and get some quotes but I'd like a steer.

I have experience of Howdens, Ikea and Wren.

I fitted a Howdens kitchen into a garage, we also have Howdens stuff into the office kitchen, seems OK, there is the cheaper end of the range and I get that that stuff isn't great and more of a contractor special, fine, longevity, well from what I have seen so far it seems good, both occasions it was the high gloss slab doors/drawers.

I used low rise Ikea cabinets to built a custom home office with oak tops, I have been pleased with this, it looks very smart, custom fitted into the corner of the room, but it's not getting wet (maybe a tea cup ring!) and it's not being clonked and clunked in a kitchen - they seemed OK but not sure if they are up to family kitchen use - the drawers do seem to have a bit more lateral movement that I would like - I don't like the side rail construction of them either, they have a metal lower section then a gap then a metal rail from front to back, I know my kitchen drawers, and realistically, stuff would fall out the sides! 

Wren, my brother had Wren installed in his kitchen, I was around a lot during the build as he was on holiday when it went in and I was to oversee and PM the joiners in his absence, I liked it, seems like solid stuff, however I believe as a business they are a shower and their own installers are a joke but I would not be using their people. Many people have commented that they are expensive, however, so is a Miele oven, but your buying quality and I like quality. What I am not sure of, is just because they are a good brand with prices which reflect this, or are they overpriced mass produced middle of the road?

So - does the above reflect what others think, are they all really much of a muchness and we get too carried away about names, like motor oil!

DIY Kitchens are my go to now as they do such a range and the quality is spot on. Howdens quality has suffered, and Wren’s sales tactics are suspect, as are their fitters as they are so variable. The quality is definitely middle of the road too - it’s a bit better than Wickes !

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

DIY Kitchens are my go to now as they do such a range and the quality is spot on. Howdens quality has suffered, and Wren’s sales tactics are suspect, as are their fitters as they are so variable. The quality is definitely middle of the road too - it’s a bit better than Wickes !

Thank you.

As in: https://www.diy-kitchens.com/

Do you have one of these in your house? 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Thank you.

As in: https://www.diy-kitchens.com/

Do you have one of these in your house? 

Yep and have recommended to a couple of others and also know a few on here that have gone the same route. 

very high quality units and doors - customer service is very good too. Wait til May and they have their annual sale .... 

• Like 1

I’m putting a DIY kitchen in my self build.  It will be my second kitchen from them.  Avoid Wren my parents kitchen was from them despite my advice.  It’s rubbish and overpriced.  My mate got a DIY kitchen after my recommendation he’s was / is very happy with it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CC45 said:

so which ones are good?

Low grade chipboard, Poor quality hinges, and runners, and dont even go near the high gloss doors. You get what you pay for with Wren, cheap, built to a price. All of the manufacturers that i used to deal with do not supply to the public im afraid. There is no longer any money in appliances, so you might be advised to just buy those from somebody like A.O. The only one who held out, atleast untill a couple of years ago was Miele. You had to have an account with them, and were not allowed to be a re-seller. If a kitchen co appear to be giving you a deal on appliances, it is only because they are overcharging you for cabinets, and making you think you are getting a great deal on the appliances. I've not looked recently at the sheds etc, so could'nt tell you who is good at the moment,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Low grade chipboard, Poor quality hinges, and runners, and dont even go near the high gloss doors. You get what you pay for with Wren, cheap, built to a price. All of the manufacturers that i used to deal with do not supply to the public im afraid. There is no longer any money in appliances, so you might be advised to just buy those from somebody like A.O. The only one who held out, atleast untill a couple of years ago was Miele. You had to have an account with them, and were not allowed to be a re-seller. If a kitchen co appear to be giving you a deal on appliances, it is only because they are overcharging you for cabinets, and making you think you are getting a great deal on the appliances. I've not looked recently at the sheds etc, so could'nt tell you who is good at the moment,

This! 

42 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Problem is how do we know what grade their made with. When buying timber you might buy c16 or c24 so have an idea. There was a good thread on here prob a year ago which explained benefit of different materials in doors

Only by cutting into a bit of there kit i'm afraid. It's a bit like laminate worktops. Years ago when i did laminate tops (ended up only doing granite) people used to moan about the price i was charging them for laminate worktops. "I can buy a lenght in B n Q for 30quid" Yes you could, but it was crap. Low grade chipboard, with photo paper on the top. Nothing like proper laminate tops that i used to pay £160 quid TRADE per lenght. The shed stuff is all made cheaply i'm afraid. If you are going to look around try and find who is using either Blum or Hettich hinges, and runners etc. Both made in Germany. All the rest are usually made in UAE and are crap. As i said, buy your appliances yourself. There is no money in small kitchen companies selling appliances anymore. I would not bother selling you 6 or 7 appliances for a gross profit on £100.