Air conditioning

sw879

Hi all

We are planning to install an air conditioning system to feed three rooms.  

We've been quoted over £13,000 for parts and labour and this is the breakdown we have been given:-

UNITS: Dining room Daikin FDXM25F9 Slim Duct 2.5kW Indoor Unit £574.00

Master Bedroom Daikin FDXM25F9 Slim Duct 2.5kW Indoor Unit £574.00

Guest Bedroom Daikin FDXM25F9 Slim Duct 2.5kW Indoor Unit Split System £574.00

Daikin Condenser 3MXM68N Outdoor Unit £2.422.00 DAIKIN

TOTAL: £4.144.00

INSTALLATION:

Pipework installation £510.00 Ductwork installation Class ‘0’ £1.950.00

3x drainage pump £300.00

1x Outdoor unit Holder (BigFoot) £100.00

Labour work and mounting materials £5.554.00

Subtotal: £12.558.00

5% VAT: £627.90

Total inc. VAT: £13.185.90

After doing a bit of research this seems quite excessive to me.  The property is located in central London.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has a company they could recommend?

Thank you

S

16 minutes ago, sw879 said:

central London

There is your answer - sorry, everything 'up the smoke' has a premium because ... well I guess you know. Just bringing a van in CL for a day cost serious money, room rates for overnights are sky high. Took our two children out for brunch on Saturday in CL £180 for four - I nearly collapsed:o. If you are half handy you could probably do a chunk of it yourself of course and let the pros do the rest.

A quick Google came up with this

https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/Daikin-3MXM68N-Outdoor-Unit-3-Indoor-Units.html

So it looks like you can buy the condenser plus three inside units for less than you have been quoted for the condenser. These are different inside units but prob gives you a good idea.

One thing I always do to get an idea of how reasonable the quote is is to ask how long installation will take. If they come back and say that it will be two guys for three days then you are being charged about £1000 per man per day, I have no idea what the right cost for London is but I would imagine £4-500 per person a day might be the kind of level you are looking at.

Of course they can quote you whatever you like and the only way to get a better price may be to get other quotes. Afraid I cannot help you with other places, I would probably just start with Google and see if I can find some reviews.

• Like 1

The units in the original quote are ducted units - they are not on show. 

The cost is in the ducting and duct install that is correct - these can’t just be stuck to walls and you will need to take floors up in the rooms above and so on. 

@sw879 is that what you are expecting ..?

Thank you all for your prompt and very helpful replies. 

I'm not sure why it's 5% VAT either instead of 20%.

Our property is being completely refurbished.  At the moment our builders are stripping the entire property to the bare bones so we do not expect any labour from the air con company in terms of taking up the floorboards...etc.

Thank you Joth. Yes we have pp but need to get an acoustic report. We have had quotes in excess of £1,000 for the acoustic report so we are shopping around at the moment for other companies.

any suggestions would be great. Thank you

6 minutes ago, sw879 said:

any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Do you know if any similar installations have gone in near you? If they have then they might have the background noise level which you need for the assessment. 

This is what the majority of the £1k is for to obtain this data.