Lighting loft conversion - lights on collar ties

DC5

Hi folks, we are converting our loft into a playroom / livingspace (5x4.2m) and a bathroom (2.4x3m) both with collar ties at 2.2m.

The original plan was to put track lighing on the top of the collar tie with about 3/4 lights per tie, on every second tie. This meant the lights could be aimed wherever we wanted up or down etc.

I've just seen a few photos of people putting a form of narrow led strip lighting on the top of the tie which looks great and is practically hidden but think I may need to put a strip on every collar tie which seems quite excessive.

Just wondered what other people have done, I will probably need to do something else in the bathroom to conform to the regs.

The wiring is still to go in as is the top layer of kingspan and plaster board but it should leave about 1.2m clear on the top of the collar tie.

6635.jpg

IMG-1234.JPG

IMG-1236.JPG

Edited by DC5

Be aware that LED doesn’t cast a light across a wide span so you won’t get the spread that you would from spots etc. 

could you not run a wire track down the middle of the apex / collar area and use a variety of floods / spots ..?? 

what is the plan with the collars..? Is it to leave them as-is or do you plan to clad them ..?

Hi thanks for the reply, yes that was discussed however it would really only give me max 2 lights per bay which isn't terrible but I didn't like the aesthetics of the cables running the length of the room.

I'm not familiar with led strip so thanks that's good to know, we may have to buy a couple and try them, which will be a little tricky without the final finish but should give an idea.

The plan is probably just to paint them white.

I saw image this and wondered how this effect was created?

4644.jpg

Edited by DC5