Little things put a massive smile on my face sometimes

ToughButterCup

My brilliant stepson called me over today to show me how he was getting on.

Here ya go : it's just a little thing .... but massive to me

20200111_143027.thumb.jpg.f1d0995985eb4de4251d9e28fff9beb2.jpg

A humble GU10 working on mains electricity for the very first time in Salamander Cottage. Another milestone.

There was this nest of spaghetti which makes it possible to switch the lights from three places 

20200111_143951.thumb.jpg.05c8523c6c164e8e51e16847ad9dde9a.jpg

and this set of intermediate switches ...

1608039178_20200111_143937(1).thumb.jpg.3b6b15d3106e827438eb5379ca45d9f1.jpg

Quite how sparkies 'see'  it all, I have no idea.   I could not be more pleased.

So thanks @ProDave for telling me about Scolmore Click Mode and for all the support. Had it been up to me there would have been the mandatory 3 gang switch at the door. And that's about all.

A small beer tonight methinks. Just to mark the passing of another milestone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Well done bud, another step forward

talking of steps, do yourself a favour and chuck those shit aluminium things in the skip and go and get a trade pair before you have an accident 

well done again, you are putting me under pressure. 

Ha ha 

ive just been working on a job An electrician brought two pairs of shiny yellow steps on to the site 

The site manager led them down and ordered the tele handler driver to run over them 

Hilarious
He reckons he had only got them out of his van so he could get his tools out 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Well done bud, another step forward

talking of steps, do yourself a favour and chuck those shit aluminium things in the skip and go and get a trade pair before you have an accident 

well done again, you are putting me under pressure. 

I was working on a public library refurb once with a clerk of the works who was a right dick. The two toilets had become pyramids and there was a pair of steps like that that wobbled left to right as the hinge was knackered and the aluminium support had fallen out and been replaced by a piece of wood.

I put it in the skip and told the C of W. Found it being used a couple of days later so folded the damn thing in half and chucked it in the skip again.  The Polish were happy to use it though.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Ooooh... Whassa problem with them then?

They are domestic grade rather they commercial or industrial and H & S stipulate that they are only suitable for occasional use.

Edited by Markblox
Spelling mistake

Best of luck getting all those wires tucked away in the back box !!!!

Re step, I use a pair of "combination ladders" that can be a short extension ladder, a pair of regular steps, or a pair of offset steps for use on a staircase.  I have had them for probably 30 years, they are sturdy and secure and I have never once doubted their integrity.  Plenty of people have told me they are "illegal" and dangerous, but nobody, not anybody is going to stop me using them.

I do admit I have seen similar looking things to mine that are rubbish and dangerous so choose carefully and use your own judgement.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

yup, I was using a pair just like that and they twisted and collapsed, I hit the concrete floor shoulder first and was amazed I had not broken anything, trade pair was bought next day and I still have them. Those cheap ones are ok for reaching cupboards but not for working from.

13 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

was wondering the same thing...

what’s the answer @ProDave @Onoff

47mm back box for a start. Only have 10mm of sheath poking into the box through the grommets or what looks like grommet strip in this case.

It'll look better when the wires are trimmed back. Especially the cpcs, way too long. Sure this is just for testing purposes then it'll get tidied. Just a case of being methodical. 

Don't leave them so long.  The key is neatness, e.g linking neutrals together and terminating earths, do all that first with them neatly dressed and tucked in the back of the box out of the way. And yes the deepest back box you can fit 

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd be putting as many of those WAGOs tucked right down the bottom at the back, maybe a couple of rows. Cut the wires back to such length that it keeps the WAGOs in place.

Is it OK to use earth terminal strip in a backbox and lose some of the WAGOs?

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

WAGOs

have something similar to do at some point and was wondering if you had a link to the WAGOs that you are using so I can get the specifications and track some down. Thanks 

The Wago's shown are the lever version that can be released.

Even smaller are these https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-3-way-push-wire-connectors-24a-pack-of-100/4322r (as an example) available in different number of ways and different sizes.

They are smaller, so possibly better for this application, but once fitted you can't remove a wire, so get it right first time!!!

There are smaller lever Wagos available too - the 221 series:

b7b5b5acf23724209596bf04d285a71e.jpg

Same rating as the 222's, and I prefer the transparent case for reassurance of correct insertion. 

Incidentally, re the push connectors they are releasable/reusable - you just twist the wire whilst pulling. 

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Incidentally, re the push connectors they are releasable/reusable - you just twist the wire whilst pulling. 

Not so easy though imo if it's twin and earth and the cores are a bit short to twist them out. 

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not so easy though imo if it's twin and earth and the cores are a bit short to twist them out. 

I have had little success removing them myself.

But thanks to @MJNewton I did not know about the 221 series, I know what will be padding out my next order to get above the free postage thresheold.......

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I have had little success removing them myself.

But thanks to @MJNewton I did not know about the 221 series, I know what will be padding out my next order to get above the free postage thresheold.......

They were launched about three or four years ago and make all the difference when space is tight which is almost always!

The 221s arrived without much fanfare, and it doesn't help that the 222s are still around yet I would've expected them to have replaced them. They're such an improvement; easier levers and they have squared edges so can be 'stacked' a lot easier to reduce space. 

4 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

The 221s arrived without much fanfare, and it doesn't help that the 222s are still around yet I would've expected them to have replaced them. They're such an improvement; easier levers and they have squared edges so can be 'stacked' a lot easier to reduce space. 

Do they do a carrier you can screw down for them like the 222s? Mate gave me a box of 221s I haven't even used yet and I've continued buying 222s. Fear of new fangled things! ?

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Is it OK to use earth terminal strip in a backbox and lose some of the WAGOs?

You could but WAGOs are a constant force connector and deemed maintenance free pretty much. Fit and forget even if inaccessible later on. With a terminal strip you have screws that WILL loosen over time and need periodic checking.

• Like 1