Brick Slips Anyone ?

Robert Clark

Hi Guys

Considering renovation options for our 1926 house in an AONB in Sussex.

02859E47-D9CE-47C1-A87E-60B9F2599B14.thumb.jpeg.109651a338129b888062abc112fdd3f9.jpeg

From a distance the exterior brickwork looks ok, but on closer inspection whats very noticeable is the mix of different bricks.

510BAB79-8476-4A09-97A6-8D06CAACDBF1.thumb.jpeg.96b1b8b59185e1e8547a7ab9e78c5fe3.jpeg

3697279F-FF4F-4A07-A07B-52541187E56C.thumb.jpeg.48999f92382236dfedc6c36698e1def6.jpeg

There is considerable damage around windows and where holes have been drilled for cavity wall insulation and wall tie replacement.

8FFDF0A1-46AA-4D91-AD71-9F71AE3F4E32.thumb.jpeg.f037d2a0c5443bf1a6a5f0980e41a4e5.jpeg

9E16C201-899C-46F5-A0BB-0197BD28462D.thumb.jpeg.1ec1dc3d8b5de8e1bce83da3cb6d0bfa.jpeg

D1039D96-3461-4FB4-8D82-7A1EC6119BC3.thumb.jpeg.f24ac0078f90ed377e98aaca8675bdba.jpeg

Wondering if ‘real’ hand made or reclaimed brick slips, applied directly to the existing bricks would be a good solution to cover up these issues with the brickwork, by giving a more consistent appearance.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

http://www.matclad.co.uk/brick-slips?gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajI2FcyrvLzN9EznxFqYIMQYlPwVcEiavp6SAPxsCl4qmgK8n7K97hRoCajEQAvD_BwE

Edited by Robert Clark
Added link

I would think that would be a major PITA, every reveal or stop area up against windows and doors will be a real hash up to get it right, window cills would need replacing. 

The front elevation you show is originally how they where built, nice soft red brick front cheaper fletton brick at the side. 

• Thanks 1

My mother and father came over from Ireland in the late 1950's and settled in Cricklewood, North West London. They did the same as all the other irish settlers in the area. Painted all the brickwork bright Red, and then painted all the morter lines in black. ? There were lots of houses in the area done the same.?? The days before York stone cladding.

Edited by Big Jimbo
missed a bit
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

My mother and father came over from Ireland in the late 1950's and settled in Cricklewood, North West London. They did the same as all the other irish settlers in the area. Painted all the brickwork bright Red, and then painted all the morter lines in black. ? There were lots of houses in the area done the same.?? The days before York stone cladding.

Where I grew up and I still live minutes away :)

• Like 1

I'd suggest some decent repointing might go a long way to a smarter appearance. But make sure you get someone skilled, who can do a neat job, unlike what you have now.

There is a technique called tuck pointing, which is a highly skilled restoration method - the narrow pinstripes may not be quite what you need, but someone who can tuck point may have the skill to improve the appearance of your place.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyNY_MU62iA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4uNGxkTlJY (warning: background music; use mute button)

Note that in America, 'tuck pointing' seems to mean ordinary pointing, leading to much internet confusion.

• Like 1

Fine looking house with character. I honestly think slips would ruin it. Money would be much better spent on a car or nice holiday imo. 

If I was buying that house. I’d be worried the cladding was hiding something  if it was present. I agree repointing is a much, much better option. 

Edited by K78
  • Like 2

Another vote for some quality repointing.  Get a quote from a proper craftsman whose work you have seen.  The plastic windows don't look good.  If you really want to lose the mock Tudor look you could just re-render.  White paint may be better.  If you do clay tile hanging you would be best to have a different shade to the brickwork - perhaps redder.

• Like 1

I think you could get best pointing job done and it still will not make it very pretty - and that would be a lot more work than brick slip system and you still will have the bricks which have blown faces  andf surface  cracks for water to freeze in in some parts --

New windows being replaced and  new window ledges -maybe external insulation then slips or render 

or just render the brickwork ?

looking at mock tudor ,that does not look orginal? they had better wood then 

lots of gaps and nail holes obvious --maybe hiding lots of other crappy brickwork 

• Like 1