Keeping studding for log burner?

MortarThePoint

I've told the guys doing the demolition that I'd like to keep the timber from a barn which consists of studding, plywood and cladding. Plywood is always useful and they are soft stripping that so easy decision. The cladding is a bore and will get burnt (modern so I presume no nasty treatments). I think there may be OSB between the cladding and studding which will get trashed by the Selector grab and so useless.

I was thinking I could keep the studding to burn on the log burner. Is this a folly, or can someone say they've burnt such on their log burner and it's a good idea?

I'm wondering about a 40 yd RoRo for wood to take the studding, OSB and cladding as it could save a lot of hassle and keep the place tidier. It's difficult to know how much the skip will pack and so what weight to expect in a 40yd bin.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MortarThePoint

I have stopped burning second hand wood as the nails do my nut in, not just cutting it up, but they fall through the grate and lock the ash pan in place as the nail heads seem to be a perfect fit for the gaps in the grate. 

Be cautious with a 40yrd skip unless you have a big machine on site, they are very tall and hard to load, we used to use 20-30 yard instead. 

30 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

the nail heads seem to be a perfect fit for the gaps in the grate. 

Haha same problem when I cut up pallets to burn..... but they come free and anything else is just so expensive so I use the pallet wood to get things going and then swap to my hardwood and finish of with coal to keep it going into the day. 

12 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Haha same problem when I cut up pallets to burn..... but they come free and anything else is just so expensive so I use the pallet wood to get things going and then swap to my hardwood and finish of with coal to keep it going into the day. 

I can spend a good 5 minutes trying to prise a rusty melted nail out, does my nut in. 

All sounds like fair game for studding on the log burner. I'll look out for screws and nails.

15 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Be cautious with a 40yrd skip unless you have a big machine on site, they are very tall and hard to load, we used to use 20-30 yard instead. 

There's a 20t machine here with selector grab which has loaded one wood skip with wood from an old barn I wouldn't want to burn already. I'm paying a flat rate for the 40yd bin and suspect I over estimated the weight it will be when full.

• Like 1

There are lots of rules about not burning “waste” wood but I would use common sense, I have lots of timber left over from my build and the demolition. Any plywood, OSB, treated wood is disposed of properly or kept to be re used but the rest is ear marked fir cutting up and burning on my wood stove if it’s not needed in the final push to get everything finished. I have a toilet built into the corner of my workshop but it’s become a offcut store fir timber, can’t wait to get that sorted out ?