Tools for Tiling

ToughButterCup

I last did some tiling when I was about 10 years old - way back last century.

Got at least 50 square meters to lay: I have a strong feeling I'm going to enjoy this part of the build - tiling appeals to me.

List of tools needed please -

really fancy one of those Bosch tiling lasers......?

The most important tool is quality knee pads. They will save you a lot of aches and pain.

As far as proper tools your going to need something to cut the tile. A dry tile cutter will cut most of what you need. You could hire a wet cutter if you have lots of fiddly bits around doors etc or even use an angle grinder. 

A tape, a few pencils, chalk line and your nice new shiny laser will help you in setting out your pattern.

Notched trowel and float, a few large buckets for mixing your adhesive and grout. If you have a good high speed drill you can buy a mixer attachment to mix your adhesive. 

Depending on how confident you are in doing the tiling then you might look at one of the tile leveling systems.

Things you already I hope own are a long spirit level, sponges, gloves and depending on the size and type of your chosen tile maybe a rubber mallet to tap the tile down.

And not forgetting a good radio so you can sing away and annoy everyone else in the house.

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Google tile leveling systems and there is a vast array of different products all designed to stop you ending up with tiles not sitting flush at the edges. 

definatley reccomned them -for we people that don,t do it as a job ,especially when doing large format tiles.

Decent wet tile cutter such as a Rubi bench that will take your biggest tile at 45 degrees.

Set it up in the garden under a gazebo, hose nearby so you can clean it down daily, and change the water in the tank regularly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Decent wet tile cutter such as a Rubi bench that will take your biggest tile at 45 degrees.

Set it up in the garden under a gazebo, hose nearby so you can clean it down daily, and change the water in the tank regularly. 

If you were closer you could borrow my big one takes 600mm tiles-with a stand as well#don,t think you want to travle this far twice?

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I last did some tiling when I was about 10 years old - way back last century.

Got at least 50 square meters to lay: I have a strong feeling I'm going to enjoy this part of the build - tiling appeals to me.

List of tools needed please -

really fancy one of those Bosch tiling lasers......?

Good quality cutter Sigma 

Forget tile saws Four inch grinder a pack of diamond blades 

Turbo diamond blade 1 mil for fine cuts 

Rubber float for grouting 

Gauging trowel 

6 -12 mil square notched trowels 

Rubi 

Rubber mallet 

600 level 

2000 level 

Square 

Tile file