Heads Up! Ordering from Germany.

On 09/01/2020 at 16:00, HerbJ said:

Agree- we bought fittings from all over Europe  - Ireland, Germany Poland, Italy, Austria - and did exactly as outlined by others above. No problem claiming the applicable VAT on our HMRC Claim

+1

I used Skybad for our sanitary ware and found them very helpful.

On 09/01/2020 at 13:55, Carrerahill said:

Mad eh?  

Good on you, got me thinking about my kitchen appliances now! If it is worth myself and some friends driving about a 1000mile round trip to get some wine occasionally from France, then I suspect bigger ticket items would be the same! 

I'm still keen to have roller shutters installed so add them to your shopping list for me, thanks!

domestic shutters.jpg

The explanation given was that it was just too much hassle. Not so much from a supply point of view but what they called 'on costs'. Guarantees extending over several years and so on... 

I suspect the relatively small proportion of business generated in the uk might also have been part of the Consideration. 

Grosse Scheisse ist das Alles. 

I mean look at the amount of uk building stuff that is German in origin....

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Grosse Scheisse ist das Alles. 

I mean look at the amount of uk building stuff that is German in origin....

Glad we're not starting our build now. Here's just a few of the major items that came from abroad.

MVHR unit - Germany

ASHP - Japanese but (I believe) ours was made in Italy

Windows and external doors - Austria

SageGlass - USA

Staircase - Italy

PV panels - South Korea

In roof PV mounts - France

Wood cladding - Finland

Cereal Click cladding - Belgium

Thermal Insulation - France

Kitchen units - Germany

Kitchen appliances - Germany and Italy (mainly)

Wood for the Timber Frame - Scandinavia

And when I first thought about doing a self build I had the ambition to use 'locally' produced materials wherever possible!

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Are some EU mainland companies not delivering because there is still uncertainty about what is happening next month?

Not that I'm aware of. If tariffs change things might get stopped at the port until the buyer pays the tariff and a handling charge. That can happen now when ordering from outside the EU. In practice I doubt the infrastructure will be in place so small orders will probably be waived through.

It might be different if you buy something big like a house kit or a car as many are made abroad. My Ford SMax was made in Spain or Portugal I think.

Some makes are warning buyers...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/13/man-gets-brexit-surprise-on-invoice-for-new-mercedes-benz-12038546/

Man gets ‘Brexit surprise’ on invoice for new Mercedes-Benz

John Hamill, 65, completed his order on Thursday, only to be handed an invoice with a stamp that said the price could change any time up to delivery day, should a customs duty tariff be put on cars imported into the UK after leaving the EU.

PS: I thought tariffs had been agreed for the transition period? Eg until end 2020.

Edited by Temp

Spoke to Reuter.de yesterday and they said they are stopping deliveries to the UK because of Brexit. They also said if I place my order now any out of stock items will be delivered once they come into the warehouse even it is after the 31st January.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Spoke to Reuter.de yesterday and they said they are stopping deliveries to the UK because of Brexit. They also said if I place my order now any out of stock items will be delivered once they come into the warehouse even it is after the 31st January.

!!!!!!

You little old charmer you. ?

• Haha 1

I don't think there will be any duties to pay during the transitional period (2020). If we don't make a trade deal by end 2020 we revert to WTO rates of duty which on wash basins and similar imports from the EU will be 7% for Ceramic and 6.5% for plastic. So perhaps a different rate for your WC and bath :-)

VAT appears to be more of a problem. After Brexit EU based companies have a choice.  They can register with the HMRC and start charging UK VAT. This provides a seamless experience for UK customers and is presumably what Amazon will do.

An alternative is for them export VAT free and the buyer will be charged UK VAT when the goods arrive at the port. No doubt there will be a handling charge as well and just imagine the hassle of reclaiming VAT you have paid if something has to be sent back because it was damaged in transit. You not only have to chase the supplier but HMRC as well :-)

Either way its all bad news for small EU based companies and I can understand why they might just write off the UK market.

Edited by Temp

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2020 at 12:42, NSS said:

I've just ordered an item of furniture from Germany. They won't deliver it, but it's still significantly cheaper for me to hire a van, drive to Dover, get a ferry over to Calais, drive to Germany to collect it and then drive back than it would be to purchase exactly the same piece of furniture from a UK retailer.

So the item is due into the retailer in Germany by the end of next week. Had planned to turn the trip over into a leisurely few days away but, given the escalating Covid-19 situation, it's now going to be a dash there and a dash back. 

On 13/01/2020 at 22:59, NSS said:

Glad we're not starting our build now. Here's just a few of the major items that came from abroad.

MVHR unit - Germany

ASHP - Japanese but (I believe) ours was made in Italy

Windows and external doors - Austria

SageGlass - USA

Staircase - Italy

PV panels - South Korea

In roof PV mounts - France

Wood cladding - Finland

Cereal Click cladding - Belgium

Thermal Insulation - France

Kitchen units - Germany

Kitchen appliances - Germany and Italy (mainly)

Wood for the Timber Frame - Scandinavia

And when I first thought about doing a self build I had the ambition to use 'locally' produced materials wherever possible!

Pretty much our entire house, foundation system, twin stud wall panels, roof, windows etc came from Ireland, along with the great guys that put it all together on site.

Flooring came from either Taiwan or Turkey, most of the sanitary ware and basins came from Turkey (Vitra), the MVHR came from Denmark and the slates on the roof came from Canada. 

About the only local product was the larch cladding, that was grown about 6 miles away, at Fonthill Estate and milled about 3 miles away at Ansty Sawmill . . .