Heads Up! Ordering from Germany.

I had to return an order to a German company (reuter.de) today.  This is how the order arrived.

20200109_110146.thumb.jpg.e22d32db13bd9d05f179235af26753a0.jpg

If at the time of refusing the delivery,  I'd have known what I know now, I would not have sent it back.

Why? read on....

Megabad stopped delivering to the UK last year sometime.  Reuter.de were cheaper than Megabad sometimes, so I ordered from them because they continued to deliver to the UK.

Chatting to the guy in the Returns Department I find out that reuter.de is no longer shipping to the UK from the end of this month

So bang goes that way of saving 20% then (with a further 20%off by reclaiming the VAT).... 

I have some other things on order - washbasins - there's a 3 week wait for them: not sure whether they're going to be delivered..... bit cross about that because if thats the case I should not have been able to purchase them.

Worse things happen at sea eh?

• Thanks 1

I've just ordered an item of furniture from Germany. They won't deliver it, but it's still significantly cheaper for me to hire a van, drive to Dover, get a ferry over to Calais, drive to Germany to collect it and then drive back than it would be to purchase exactly the same piece of furniture from a UK retailer.

Edited by NSS
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NSS said:

I've just ordered an item of furniture from Germany. They won't deliver it, but it's still significantly cheaper for me to hire a van, drive to Dover, get a ferry over to Calais, drive to Germany to collect it and then drive back than it would be to purchase exactly the same piece of furniture from a UK retailer.

Grab me some proper German ? whilst you are there !

1 hour ago, NSS said:

Mad eh?  

Good on you, got me thinking about my kitchen appliances now! If it is worth myself and some friends driving about a 1000mile round trip to get some wine occasionally from France, then I suspect bigger ticket items would be the same! 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, NSS said:

I dunno what to say: maybe - What's new? 

German by birth, but far more loyal to the UK than ze Vaterland - posts like yours only add to my  cynicism.  

Literally, the cheapest I can buy the item here (even after negotiating an extra 10% off of the New Year Sale price) is £2,100. I've ordered it for pick up in Germany for 1,529 euros (circa £1,365). Mad is the right word!

3 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I had to return an order to a German company (reuter.de) today.  This is how the order arrived.

If at the time of refusing the delivery,  I'd have known what I know now, I would not have sent it back.

Why? read on....

Megabad stopped delivering to the UK last year sometime.  Reuter.de were cheaper than Megabad sometimes, so I ordered from them because they continued to deliver to the UK.

Chatting to the guy in the Returns Department I find out that reuter.de is no longer shipping to the UK from the end of this month

So bang goes that way of saving 20% then (with a further 20%off by reclaiming the VAT).... 

I have some other things on order - washbasins - there's a 3 week wait for them: not sure whether they're going to be delivered..... bit cross about that because if thats the case I should not have been able to purchase them.

Ian how are you intending to claim the VAT back from a German company?

As a VAT registered business my goods are always supplied 0 rated. However if I ever pay VAT in their home country or say order something online on eBay from a VAT registered company in Germany I'm charged the VAT as they don't know better, pretty sure I have to file a separate claim for VAT paid in error or in the EU country when on business too.

Just wondering how this works for self-builders as the VAT liability from Germany is separate to claiming back the VAT back in the UK... I'm guessing?

Just now, joe90 said:

I seem to remember @Jeremy Harris bought his MVHR from Euroland and claimed the VAT back ok!, @iSelfBuild perhaps it’s because you are a VAT Reg business?

Hmm not sure how it works. I know they don't make it easy for me. I have about £100 in Polish and Estonian VAT from a business trip but never get round to it / If I give it to my accountant he'll only charge the same ?

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I seem to remember @Jeremy Harris bought his MVHR from Euroland and claimed the VAT back ok!, @iSelfBuild perhaps it’s because you are a VAT Reg business? Us buildhubbers don’t tend to be.

Yes, no problem at all.  I got guidance from HMRC before buying the unit and they assured me that I could reclaim the full Danish VAT (25%) as long as I provided proof of the exchange rate on the date of purchase.  I believe that @PeterStarck did much the same, as he bought his unit from the same Danish supplier.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Yes, no problem at all. 

Agree- we bought fittings from all over Europe  - Ireland, Germany Poland, Italy, Austria - and did exactly as outlined by others above. No problem claiming the applicable VAT on our HMRC Claim

28 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Not looking forward to the booing and hissing when he's moved into a house with no catflap.

You always can use your VAT return to buy him a Passivhaus Catflap.

Won't be much left of your VAT return after that  but you sure got the poshest catflap up and down the country.

Edited by Patrick

On 09/01/2020 at 12:17, AnonymousBosch said:

Why? read on....

We are just compiling our order with Reuter.de but with this news not sure it is going to happen. We like some furniture in Spain so not a bad idea about hiring a van and doing a round trip if I can find the time!!

On 09/01/2020 at 15:42, iSelfBuild said:

Ian how are you intending to claim the VAT back from a German company?

I claimed 21% Belgian VAT when VAT here was 17.5%.  Think I just converted the VAT paid from Euro to £ and wrote it on the self build reclaim form. 

Presumably this will still be allowed after 31st January?