Downdraft Induction for Asian cooking

Sommy

Hi ? 

I am Sommy and very new here. I am on the process to choose downdraft for my induction ( which I have not buy yet).I am Asian and love to cook lot of spicy and smoky food that including some deep fried. So my stove area will be lot of grease from oil and lot of smoke with unpleasant odours.  I want to know which brand is good and have strongest CBF to use with asian cooking . 
Pls give me idea ?. Also I am buying 90 cms induction which mean I need to buy 118 cms of downdraft or I can use 90 cms downdraft. 

Hi @Sommy, welcome to BuildHub.

I don't know if this model will provide you enough airflow but this is the model I am thinking of using for my forthcoming build: Cookology CDD900BK from here. There is also a model that includes a carbon filter if your hood needs to be recirculating, rather than venting to the outside. It states an extraction capacity: 700 m³/hr if that is helpful for you.

25 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I don't know if this model will provide you enough airflow but this is the model I am thinking of using for my forthcoming build: Cookology CDD900BK from here. There is also a model that includes a carbon filter if your hood needs to be recirculating, rather than venting to the outside. It states an extraction capacity: 700 m³/hr if that is helpful for yo

Thank you for responding. I will do the research and I am using ducting outside the house coz recirculating can be hot for the house in the summer time and I don’t like it. 

31 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I don't know if this model will provide you enough airflow but this is the model I am thinking of using for my forthcoming build: Cookology CDD900BK from here. There is also a model that includes a carbon filter if your hood needs to be recirculating, rather than venting to the outside. It states an extraction capacity: 700 m³/hr if that is helpful for you.

1 minute ago, Sommy said:

Thank you for responding. I will do the research and I am using ducting outside the house coz recirculating can be hot for the house in the summer time and I don’t like it. 

BTW can you let me know how powerful of extraction after you have been using . If possible can you record video to me after you cook stir fry/deep fry food that will be appreciated. Thx in advance

On 09/01/2020 at 09:12, dpmiller said:

Has anyone seen a commercial kitchen with a downdraft extractor?

No.

I have been in many, worked in a few too many.

This may be because of the much higher airflows, and the need to fit removable baffles. 

Then there is the space issues, floor area is a luxury that chefs don't have, so it is no good wasting space for a fan unit that can go outside. A commercial kitchen is not like a domestic one, clutter, or anything that is not used all the time, including staff, are got rid of, rapidly.

Another reason may be that kitchen designers are not very creative, the equipment has not moved on in the 45 years that I have been involved in it. Still have the same useless benches that are difficult to clean, sinks that are too deep, shelves at just the right height to smack your head on, fridges next to ovens, ignorance and egos larger than the shop signage.

I often wonder why I do it still, it is a mugs game.

Edited by SteamyTea