Installing Burbidge Fusion System stair parts....

ProDave

In particular the Newel Base Connector MMMC

See this guide about a quarter of the way down https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/install-fusion/

The official method is drill a horizontal hole in the new post to insert a barrel bolt for the threaded rod to screw into.

We used this on our last house. I was constantly annoyed at this hole left in every single newel post.

The objective here is just to secure a length of threaded rod, that the chrome plated brass base bracket fits onto and the threaded rod holds it down to the newel post.

I am wondering if there is another way?  Self tap the threaded rod into a slightly under sized hole in the newel post?  Even send an engineers tap down the hole first to cut a thread?  And for final assembly load the threaded rod with epoxy resin and allow time to cure before putting the  base bracket on and tightening.

Sensible or silly idea?

Well I went ahead and did it. :ph34r:

The threaded rod was M12 and I had an M12 tap so I drilled a 10mm hole and tapped an M12 hole down into the newel post, screwed the threaded rod in with plenty of epoxy, gave it time to set before setting the post bracket on and tightening it down.

It all seems solid and I think looks better for not having holes in the side of the newel posts.

fusion_1.thumb.jpg.5742f0e66e69e995ae5936c1735403aa.jpg

But I have encountered a problem.

At the top of the flight, the top spindle is fitted as far up the stairs as it possibly can go.  The spindle bracket is touching the top handrail bracket.

I am measuring the gap as exactly 100mm if not 101.  That will fail the "a 100mm sphere will not pass through"

fusion_2.thumb.jpg.50327680376a010292518f1bdc6b6faa.jpg

I will see if I can find a contact to pose this issue to Richard Burbidge and see what they say.

I suspect the problem is my stairs are too shallow.  I had a bit of extra space so chose to make the going of each stair a little greater, all within building regs limits, to make the stairs a bit less steep.  I have just looked it up and it's 40.21 degrees.  What's the betting Burbidge tell me my stairs are too shallow? That should not be the case as they say suitable for a pitch between 38 and 45 degrees.

The only solution I can see is cut a bit off that top spindle bracket, which is chrome plated plastic.

53 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am measuring the gap as exactly 100mm if not 101.  That will fail the "a 100mm sphere will not pass through"

Only if the test is carried out. My BCO just looked the stairs, said very nice and carried on.

No, it is not going to be a practical issue.

Three points really.  Why is such a well known manufacturer as Burbidge selling a product that as far as I can tell in anything less than the standard 42 degree staircase, cannot meet building regs?

I think we will end up with 95mm gap throughout.  My OCD will notice the odd 100mm gap every time we climb the stairs, and so might the building inspector.

We have a split flight with a half landing, so the spindles for each flight will overlap.  So you try and make the spindles on each flight line up.  Because you can't get less than a 100mm gap at the top, that also applies to the top of the lower flight.  So to make the first spindles in either direction from the half landing line up, that means using a 100mm gap at the bottom of the flights as well.  Double OCD.

I have sent an email and my picture with the tape measure to Burbidge. I will let you know their response.

All completed.

I filed a bit off the top spindle bracket and got the top gap to 97mm.  The rest of the top run is 90mm and the bottom run 95mm.

fusion_3.thumb.jpg.991472a3027ca6ed52890086f7ec23e7.jpg

fusion_4.thumb.jpg.c7f19c301595411d15b25388bb14d238.jpg

I will let you know if Burbidge give me the courtesy of a reply.

A bit late to this one, but I would have done exactly the same, remove a couple of mil from the bracket, good on you fir being OCD (like me ?). P.s. I have often screwed threaded rod into timber successfully. ?