"Caber+" floor to fit/ Q's.

zoothorn

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@zoothorn ,s question still stands? Why an expansion gap if it does not expand ?

It’s a myth. 

Expansion coefficient of chipboard is tiny - 0.03-0.04 mm/m/deg C so a 20 degree change summer to winter will be around 3-4mm at most over the room width of 4m. A 10mm expansion gap both ends means the whole floor has about 500% expansion capacity. 

The downside is that BCOs expect to see a static 8-10mm expansion gap, but as I said I would fill that with cheap acrylic sealant and then put a skirting over it when it’s all been boarded and you’ll never see it. 

@zoothorn if you’re putting Lino down then fill it with sealant and go over the top with the Lino at the doorway and job done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The downside is that BCOs expect to see a static 8-10mm expansion gap,

when are these people going to catch up with the real world? If I knew that I would have floored up to the cill like you said Peter and expansion gap the other end.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What about the TF expanding? ?

across its grain ..?? Thermally that’s 0.015mm/m/C so he’s got to worry about 0.042mm expansion ... lending him a dial gauge to check it ..? ?

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

when are these people going to catch up with the real world? If I knew that I would have floored up to the cill like you said Peter and expansion gap the other end.

Always been an issue - same with joist expansion.  The only “expansion” issues are normally the opposite - shrinkage. Frames shrinking is a problem, but engineered timber has taken a lot of that away too. 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

across its grain ..?? Thermally that’s 0.015mm/m/C so he’s got to worry about 0.042mm expansion ... lending him a dial gauge to check it ..? ?

Can we have a tongue in cheek emoji please? 

52 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It won’t expand. It’s a myth. 

Cover it with a piece of timber and move on. 

But isn't it easier to just fill it with PIR? I don't need to glue if friction-very-tightly in. just trim off top to floor level. no?

13 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I do need to ask one last thing on the caber boards: I've left the usual 10mm expansion gap @ my threshold, away from the slate sill/ threshold section itself.. & this seems the most susceptible bit to get rained on if not moisture off wet feet etc. What to do here?

Will you be having a door mat? You can buy coir door matting off the roll around 15 to 20mm thick.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Understood. But why didn't I just butt the floor up to the threshold.. because I had to have an expansion gap (aparantly), so how would this wood addition not negate the whole idea? this is why I thought PIR so it could expand into it, if it had to, in theory.

This is how the wood doesn't "negate the whole idea", in greater detail and pretty colours with labels:

- You fill you gap with sealant. That still allows expansion.

- You lay your vinyl tiles

- Screw a nosing, ideally hardwood, to the cill.

The floor is free to expand in/out under the nosing. There's no joint between underside of nosing and vinyl tiles so it'll "slide" if required.

thresh_001.thumb.jpg.bc59f2ca244b349f7e52a883e12edf29.jpg

On 01/05/2020 at 09:43, Onoff said:

I was spelling it for him, in colour and big words as God knows how, your sketch still prompted questions! ?

The reason is, as I've said before, I miss replies (I did not see joe90 had even done a reply w'sketch).

If the system notifies only 90% of the time (ive mentioned the need for #post numbers, so its far from a perfect system) then you get used to clicking on notify boxes, & don't get used to refreshing the page 2x a day in case a reply's got through.

So it's not that I'm stupid enough not to understand a simple picture as you suggest. it's because I haven't seen it.

Thanks for the diagrams/ info how to fill this gap chaps- appreciated.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

The reason is, as I've said before, I miss replies (I did not see joe90 had even done a reply w'sketch).

If the system notifies only 90% of the time (ive mentioned the need for #post numbers, so its far from a perfect system) then you get used to clicking on notify boxes, & don't get used to refreshing the page 2x a day in case a reply's got through.

So it's not that I'm stupid enough not to understand a simple picture as you suggest. it's because I haven't seen it.

Thanks for the diagrams/ info how to fill this gap chaps- appreciated.

...and we also need a tongue in cheek emoji!

22 minutes ago, Onoff said:

...and we also need a tongue in cheek emoji!

Am I allowed to glue the nosing to the cill? Its a piece of 'natural' slate/ not a thick solid bit either.. may well split or break if muggins drills into it.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Am I allowed to glue the nosing to the cill? Its a piece of 'natural' slate/ not a thick solid bit either.. may well split or break if muggins drills into it.

Just no nails or something similar. No screws required.