CIL Commencement notice early - any issues?

I have been pondering for a while whether there are any issues with submitting the CIL commencement notice a couple of months before we start the development? It would be nice to just get it ticked off the long list of tasks, and also allow for a potential wait for it to be acknowledged by the CIL team. 

I read somewhere on this forum that bringing in machinery constitutes the start of the development, site clearance is scheduled for the end of February but might slip. At the moment the site is untouched.

In summary, any issues with submitting CIL Form 6 with a start date of now, but not actually starting for another couple of months?

Can’t see any issues with this but some LAs (maybe all) send out an email / letter to show that they’ve received the commencement notice so ensure that you have something in writing before you start anything at all. 

I tried to submit ours twice. The first time was about 6 months before we started work and during the time we were discharging the pre-commencement planning conditions. The CIL people emailed back to remind us that we still had undischarged planning conditions and it might be better to submit the notice once this was done. I didn't fancy picking a fight with the CIL people so duly replied that was what we would do. 

The second time was after the conditions were discharged but about a month and half before work actually started. This time I just got the confirmation email back saying they had received the commencement form and reminding me to submit the next form (Form 7) within 6 months of building control sign-off, otherwise the exemption will lapse and the full CIL payment will become due. I have printed a few copies of this email out and keep them in safe places ?

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I tried to submit ours twice. The first time was about 6 months before we started work and during the time we were discharging the pre-commencement planning conditions. The CIL people emailed back to remind us that we still had undischarged planning conditions and it might be better to submit the notice once this was done. I didn't fancy picking a fight with the CIL people so duly replied that was what we would do. 

The second time was after the conditions were discharged but about a month and half before work actually started. This time I just got the confirmation email back saying they had received the commencement form and reminding me to submit the next form (Form 7) within 6 months of building control sign-off, otherwise the exemption will lapse and the full CIL payment will become due. I have printed a few copies of this email out and keep them in safe places ?

Thanks Andrew, we are still working on the final planning conditions negotiations/queries, so maybe good to wait until that is done (SuDS doing my head in). Thanks for the reminder on Form 7, could easily be forgotten in the excitement of moving in ......

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

within 6 months of building control sign-off, otherwise the exemption will lapse and the full CIL payment will become due. I have printed a few copies of this email out and keep them in safe places

And if you don’t have a warranty or a self build mortgage you have to rely on an approved VAT reclaim as one of the pieces of completion evidence required so you will need to get a crack on with the VAT reclaim pronto after completion. It’s beyond ridiculous IMO that a deadline is imposed to provide a document that the self builder has no control over as HMRC seem to take as long as they like and are processing claims well outside of their documented timescales. 

• Like 2