any ipad users here? I need some urgent help with email

ProDave

The problem is not covered by that.  I DID all that to set up an account but I must have typed something wrong.

The dumb non ipad user question is now, faced with a non working email account on the screen, how do I get BACK to the settings page to edit the settings and try again?

The account is working in so far as I can send an email, but I am not receiving any, so I must have typed the incoming server details or password wrong and I just need to get back and edit them, but for the life of me I just can't find a way to get back.

ipads make no sense to me, so alien how they work, no obvious menus etc.

Help me on this.  I am a dumb non ipad user.

I have a white screen (the email app)

On the left are mailboxes (inbox and VIP)  On the right is where it would normally display emails, but it is empty.

The ONLY links to anywhere I have on that screen is link to write and send an email (that works) and at the top an EDIT link, but that just takes me to add new mailboxes to the list.

So as a dumb non ipad user HOW to I get to SETTINGS?

Just now, ProDave said:

Help me on this.  I am a dumb non ipad user.

I have a white screen (the email app)

On the left are mailboxes (inbox and VIP)  On the right is where it would normally display emails, but it is empty.

The ONLY links to anywhere I have on that screen is link to write and send an email (that works) and at the top an EDIT link, but that just takes me to add new mailboxes to the list.

So as a dumb non ipad user HOW to I get to SETTINGS?

errr...

grey box on the main iPad screen ..??

then..

Settings > Passwords & Accounts

click on the account in question

Thank you.

As I said, I am a dumb user used to "normal" computers like windows, linux etc.  I was looking for settings relating to an email program. I expected to find the settings somewhere within the email program like on every other platform.  I didn't expect them to be hidden away in some centralised settings application.

It was as I suspected a fat finger / tiny keyboard typo. All working now.

• Like 1

One more question, to save me endless grief and frustration.

This has set up her email based on the house name domain name.

She also has a @gmail account How can I add that also to the ipad email app?

49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

One more question, to save me endless grief and frustration.

This has set up her email based on the house name domain name.

She also has a @gmail account How can I add that also to the ipad email app?

settings - passwords & accounts - add account

select google from the list

sign into the google account and you create it in the mail app.

once it is set up you see the account in the list under passwords and accounts. Click the account. Should be a gmail heading with the email address used. This then allows you to name it So you can identify it easily from the other mail accounts.  

I have 6 mail accounts - separates bits of my life so I can easily organise myself. Sounds crazy but it works. Keeps the house build stuff away from the school communication etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

Are you using Apple Mail on the iPad?

I guess so?  it's just called "mail" and is the default application for that loaded.

Anyway all sorted now, proper email on "mail" and gmail using the gmail app.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I guess so?  it's just called "mail" and is the default application for that loaded.

Anyway all sorted now, proper email on "mail" and gmail using the gmail app.

Great

The solution is not to use Apple Mail (that come with iPad), but to use the Gmail App.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So would the gmail app also have done the "proper" email?

No, only Gmail. For any other mail, use the standard Apple Mail App (aka "Mail"), as you have done. By the way, there are third-party apps on the App Store that work like Apple Mail but I personally stick to using Apple Mail for everything except Gmail (as @Adrian Walker suggested).

Edited to add: You can if you wish setup forwards in any of the email accounts to forward mail to any other of your email accounts, while retaining a copy or not in the original account. This could effectively simplify the arrangement to having a single account to monitor.

Personally, I have (i) a work Gmail account, (ii) a personal Gmail account, and (iii) a personal non-Gmail account. I forward (i) to (ii) and use the Apple Mail App to monitor only (ii). In the Gmail App I only have (iii), which I like to keep separate.

Edited by Dreadnaught

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered on other problem with my iPad (which appeared recently), I received an Email with a doc attached and can open the doc but the iPad no longer appears to have a print option???? Ggggrrrrrr

just tried to email Apple but they don’t have an email address I have to use Twitter or something (that I don’t use or want to use).

Edited by joe90

Has the print function disappeared for everything, or just that document?

If it is just the document, it may be read only, or have similar restriction placed on it.

I hope you downloaded it from a trusted source, Jeff Bezo had pictures of his todger copied.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

Happened a while ago with my wife's old iPad.  Printing to anything other than an Apple approved printer/Airprinter seemed to need an app from the printer manufacturer.  In our case the network printer is an old Samsung CLP-670, and she needed to install the Samsung print app to get printing to work.  When Apple updated iOS, for some reason the print app didn't update, so she needed to re-install it.

It seems that iOS does things very differently to PCs, and doesn't seem to use printer drivers, as such, and also only seems to have built-in support for Apple printers, plus a few that must have done some sort of deal with Apple.  Thankfully setting up an iMac to use our network printer was a bit easier, as it seems that MacOS is a bit more accommodating, although it doesn't seem to have the full range of printer settings that are available from the Windows printer driver.