Underfloor Heating 'So far'

Ryan85

Hi Guys,

I finally have my heating up and running this past 7 days. Gradually lifting it 0.5 degrees everyday and now sitting at 17.5 degrees. I have to say it is a great feeling and the free wall space is great but worried about oil.

Just gauging thoughts on underfloor heating from those of you that have installed it and how you are finding oil consumption?

• Like 1

I'm going to follow this thread as will be having UF also via a boiler.

Is your UF coming form a TS or blended from the boiler?

I'm probably using the wrong terms there as I'm an idiot when it comes to thus stuff.

cheers

Jamie heating wise I am a novice also. I have a heatmiser UH8 control panel in the switch room in the back hall. The boiler heats the UF. The system has 5 UF Zones, Kitchen, bathroom, hall, sun room and living area. Then 2 zones on Radiators that are bedrooms and utility/back hall/wc area.

We found oil consumption horrendous initially but I don't think we have it set up right. I think its short cycling a lot. I have now restricted oil to 1.5 hours per day to heat the thermal store. We are not living in the house yet so have no water requirements, just keeping the house at 14-16 degrees.

Can you set it up so the oil burner is the boss so you set it when it comes on, say early in the morning and the evening. That's how I work my stove instead of the stat dropping below set point calling for heat and making the stove fire up. Now if it calls for heat it takes what it needs from the thermal store and if it runs it cold so be it. We shower in the evening anyway so it doesn't bother me if the water is cold at lunch time. When it fires up in the morning that will be enough to heat the tank feed whatever zone needs it let it heat up and then depending on how many zones need heat there is usually enough to replenish the tank again. That burst of heat in the morning is for the vast amount of winter enough to keep the house toasty warm to the evening. We only really live in the sunroom and kitchen so it doesnt bother me if the living room or spare room is a degree lower.

42 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Can you set it up so the oil burner is the boss so you set it when it comes on, say early in the morning and the evening. That's how I work my stove instead of the stat dropping below set point calling for heat and making the stove fire up. Now if it calls for heat it takes what it needs from the thermal store and if it runs it cold so be it. We shower in the evening anyway so it doesn't bother me if the water is cold at lunch time. When it fires up in the morning that will be enough to heat the tank feed whatever zone needs it let it heat up and then depending on how many zones need heat there is usually enough to replenish the tank again. That burst of heat in the morning is for the vast amount of winter enough to keep the house toasty warm to the evening. We only really live in the sunroom and kitchen so it doesnt bother me if the living room or spare room is a degree lower.

That's what I have now set ours to do. 

Ryan doesn't mention a thermal store so the boiler will fire whenever a room stat calls for heat.

The flow and return temperatures moderately critical with the Grant...

They say the return temperature should not be below 40C as that can cause corrosion. Nor should it be higher than 55C in order that it stays in condensing mode.

Page 3..

http://www.grantuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Vortex-Outdoor-Modules-installation-and-servicing-manual-DOC52-Rev00-October-2004.pdf

Dose the system with a corrosion inhibitor. I use Fernox but there are others.

Edited by Temp

I have UFH (upstairs and dowsnstairs) with a Firebird oil boiler (basic non condensing)

Never had any problems and I can't say I particularly notice the boiler short cycling.  The blending in the UFH manifold mixer seems to take care of everythign and ensure a reasonable return temperature to the boiler.

Unless you have insufficient under floor insulation, there is no reason UFH should be any more expensive to run than radiators.

How long has it been running and how much oil do you think you have used?

5 hours ago, Temp said:

Dose the system with a corrosion inhibitor. I use Fernox but there are others.

Not sure temp. I will check. But what you have said above is correct. Boiler kicks in as and when stats call for heat.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

How long has it been running and how much oil do you think you have used?

I have only the heating on from last Friday. 450 Litres in the tank so will keep an eye on that. the underfloor pipes are sitting on 150mm of insulation.

• 3 months later...