Scaffold Tower

Jilly

I'm looking into buying a scaffold tower for jobs which we can do ourselves for the conversion and for tree and hedge trimming. The top ridge of the building is 4.6m. Can anyone recommend something sturdy but easy to manage and put up etc? Thank you .

For a self-build, the business case for something like KwikStage (others available) is compelling. Just about to sell ours and expect to get back what we paid - roughly.

Have you looked at the rental costs? 

Heaving KwikStage around under trees and near hedges would be a real pain in the Botticelli. 

• Haha 1

I hired a 4.2m working height alloy tower over the holidays. Bit of a pain to assemble (e.g. instructions didn't remotely match reality) but once it was up, it was great. However, it's a really big, bulky piece of kit that takes up a fairly big storage space. I think the hire cost me £40 for almost 2 weeks, for a tower that retails at over £1500. I'd consider rental for as and when it's needed, otherwise I think a small amount of traditional scaffolding would be a better bet if you don't need it to be overly mobile.

Edit: to clarify, version I had was a double depth and width - so basically same size as a scaffolding bay -8ft by 4ft. So big piece of kit. You'd struggle to put it up single handed. I can see merit in a smaller setup for "light" tasks like painting etc. 

Edited by Conor

I have had one of these for years and found it invaluable (I am also short). You have to be fairly agile to put it up and down but I used it as a self employed  builder for all sorts of jobs. As mine comes in 600mm sections it can be used in all sorts of configurations. One 16’ tower, two 8’ towers, four 4’ towers. I also have extra long scaffold planks when they are used side by side.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-D-I-Y-Steel-Scaffold-Tower-Scaffolding-Tower-4x26x18wh/171973322260?epid=10026546682&hash=item280a68a614:g:wcoAAOxyxmJSPF7-

I purchased a 4ft x 4ft internal galvanised steel scaffold tower for our build, complete  with extension legs, wheels, locking pads and a hinged door platform.  It was definitely very useful through the build, but it was a bit heavy, and not that easy to set up single handedly.  It was relatively cheap, though, and when I'd finished with it our plasterer bought it from me, so overall the cost was a great deal less than if I had hired a unit.

Aluminium scaffold towers are a lot lighter and easier to set up, but also more expensive.  A 4ft x 2ft one is barely adequate, in my view, although it is more compact.  Being narrower there is a lot less working space, but it will get into smaller areas.  The other issue with the 4ft x 2ft ones is that, without the bracing legs fitted they tend to feel a little less secure.

In your situation I would look at getting an aluminium tower, as you will find it a lot easier to erect and dismantle.  They are just a fair bit more expensive, though!

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

[...]  buying a scaffold tower for ... for tree and hedge trimming [...]

I would save your money - and for hedges I would pay someone..! They only really need doing once or twice a year at most and by the time you have bought decent hedge trimmers, you'll have paid for 4-5 years of hedge trimming.

Trees are a different matter, consider a pole saw such as a Silky Forester which is more than adequate for ground trimming. Anything outside the height limit on one of these is probably better left to a professional.

I have the 7m [¹] version of these which I've found very handy:

https://www.aluminium-scaffoldtowers.co.uk/diy-access-tower-sale

Rock solid up to 5m, OK at 6m, makes me a bit nervous at 7m. It's supposed to be a two-person job to assemble but with a bit of practice I can put it up to full height or take it down in about 20 minutes on my own.

[¹] That's the maximum reach height which is deemed to be 2m above the platform height (i.e., 5m max). Top of handrail is 1m above the platform so 6m maximum.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Now I wonder how many of us have scaffolding that is just cluttering the place up.

I still use mine if only to clean the conservatory roof, better than working off ladders etc (now I am old and doddery ?).

33 minutes ago, joe90 said:

better than working off ladders

Yes

I only use mine to paint the outside of the house every 5 years or so.  2 day job with a scaffold tower (weather permitting, took nearly 2 months this year).

Over a week if up a ladder, and the job is crap.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I got this one with the extension kit.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/first-5-presto-diy-aluminium-tower/

I paid less for it that the above link.

I was surprised how solid it is when up.

Packs up and fits under the stairs as well.

Now I wonder how many of us have scaffolding that is just cluttering the place up.

No kickboards?