kerbs and council requirements

Barryscotland

As part of our planing conditions we have to put in a pavement where our ground borders the councils road. We have a groundworker friend who I often exchange labor with that can do the job for us which would save us a good chunk but has warned us that the work would normally have to be carried out by someone the council recognizes, I think its something to do with insurance. I no the work will be done to a very high standard but is it going to come back and bite me if the council need to see some paperwork?

Anybody have any experiance with the council with regard to pavements? Were in Scotland if it makes a difference.

I think in Scotland you need a Road Opening Permit..

https://www.gov.uk/road-opening-permit-scotland

Just one councils view on this...

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/20031/roads_and_pavements/744/road_permits

My guess is the process for getting one will require you to provide info on the contractors qualifications and insurance. In England I think they are meant to have £2m public liability insurance?

Hi Temp, we have to have the electricity supply rerouted and changed from 3 phase to single which requires a joint under the road for which we need the road opening permit ( at a cost of £600 just for the permit! ) maybe we could just extend the barriers and signs (already been told no traffic lights required thankfully) to include the area to be kerbed and do it then as the length to be turned into pavement is pretty much next to where the cable needs to be exposed.

Maybe the insurance needed is just for when the work is being carried out rather than for the work thats done.

I was always led to believe that the utilities all have a permanent road opening permit so don't have to apply individually to the council for each job.

A private contractor doing work on the road or pavement must hold a minor street works permit. (might not be the exact description of it)

When we got our electricity in they had to get a road opening permit, I know this for certain as open reach had applied for it too and they were going to get the slot that sp energy wanted resulting in us having to cancel open reach so that sp energy could get the slot otherwise we would have had to wait another month for electric, a street works permit would be required by the person doing your pavement but can I ask if you are sure it is needed? Our pp said we had to install a pavement to the front of the property but being in a rural area where there are no pavements it seemed strange that they wanted 100m of pavement, turned out it was just a generic thing on the pp and didn’t apply to us.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

I was always led to believe that the utilities all have a permanent road opening permit so don't have to apply individually to the council for each job.

A private contractor doing work on the road or pavement must hold a minor street works permit. (might not be the exact description of it)

We are getting a private contractor to do the opening and reinstatement of the road as they where almost 2.5k cheaper than SSE where quoting. All that the utilities company are doing is jointing the cable (at a cost of £300) so we (or the chap that's doing the work) needs to apply for the permit to dig up the road.

Anyway all a bit of topic, will I need to supply the council anything to "sign off"  the pavement when its finished or will they just have a look and say Aye that's a bonny bit of pavement not caring who did the job.

12 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

When we got our electricity in they had to get a road opening permit, I know this for certain as open reach had applied for it too and they were going to get the slot that sp energy wanted resulting in us having to cancel open reach so that sp energy could get the slot otherwise we would have had to wait another month for electric, a street works permit would be required by the person doing your pavement but can I ask if you are sure it is needed? Our pp said we had to install a pavement to the front of the property but being in a rural area where there are no pavements it seemed strange that they wanted 100m of pavement, turned out it was just a generic thing on the pp and didn’t apply to us.

6        Prior to the commencement of the development hereby approved, details of the extension of the existing footway to the south west of the site to meet the vehicular access into the development site shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Planning Authority.  The detail shall ensure that the footway continues along the frontage of the application site meet the vehicular access for the development.  The footway shall match the width of the existing footpath and shall be designed to a specification to the satisfaction of the Council as Planning Authority.  The details, as approved in writing, shall be implemented prior to the completion or bringing into use of the development, whichever is the earlier.

Reason - In the interests of road safety.

Is one of the conditions they attached to our planning. To be honest though its one thing we don't mind doing as it will benefit us as well. 

I quite agree with you there, if all the other properties on this road had pavements to the front we would have been quite happy to do this as the road is pretty dangerous to walk on, there’s a 40mph speed limit on it but it is used as a shortcut to another village and they speed along all the time, you take your life in your hands if out walking dogs!

13 hours ago, Barryscotland said:

6        Prior to the commencement of the development hereby approved, details of the extension of the existing footway to the south west of the site to meet the vehicular access into the development site shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the Planning Authority.  The detail shall ensure that the footway continues along the frontage of the application site meet the vehicular access for the development.  The footway shall match the width of the existing footpath and shall be designed to a specification to the satisfaction of the Council as Planning Authority.  The details, as approved in writing, shall be implemented prior to the completion or bringing into use of the development, whichever is the earlier.

Reason - In the interests of road safety.

Is one of the conditions they attached to our planning. To be honest though its one thing we don't mind doing as it will benefit us as well. 

Google found some drawings of typical make up of a tarmac footpath...

https://www.york.gov.uk/downloads/download/1539/highway_design_guide_-_technical_specification_drawings_and_plans_pdf

Perhaps see if your council have similar drawings or make your own drawings based on these (eg a site plan showing where the path will go, a cross section of the path showing the make up and a cover letter). Ask them to confirm these details are acceptable before doing the work. When the work is finished apply for the condition to be discharged along with any others you have met at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you require proof of the road opening permit etc. as part of planning but... in my experience council groundworkers' are quite happy to do the work as homers and the road opening permit can be sorted later if someone complains.