Choosing your ICF

Hi Kernow, if you're using a builder check to see what experience they have with different products, if you are underground at all then check you can get a combo of ICF product/waterproof solution/warranty co and builder that all fits together (if a warranty is of interest), reliable supply (there have been issues in 2019 with this), access to a wide range of "shapes" to minimise on-site cutting and/or shuttering. Most important, always with with people you like ? Good luck, there is loads of choice and it can be hard ti differentiate

Go and look at them on site, pick it up, shake it about

it was glaringly obvious to me what ones I wanted to avoid, I then poked and prodded the ones left and narrowed it down. 

I have picked all my materials so far like this and haven’t fitted anything yet I don’t like. 

I decided to spend good money on structure and if I end up not being able to afford the heated toilet seat then so be it,

i don’t think such an important component should be skimped on. 

20 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a large ICF developement going on at Tehidy, (south drive) at the moment.

I think @BotusBuildis going ICF too.

There is also a small ICF place being completed near St. Agnes, guy did most of the work himself.

Interesting, I did hear about a large development down towards Tehidy, might be worth a visit. 

I have seen a few around in the past, but none now I am wanting to go and visit. 

Kernow,

As SteamyTea mentioned, ICF is a method I am considering seriously, although with plenty of thinking time over Christmas/New Year, I have been thinking of using this for the below ground part only.

I have visited a number of the self build exhibitions and spoken to reps from Durisol, Velox, Nudura and BecoWallform (If you can get to the NSBRC at Swindon (just off J16, M4) you can see a range of ICF products on display. Key for me is ability to insert rebar for the below ground retaining wall parts of the build, ability to do most of the formwork myself, and I'm trying to build with as little transport impact as possible (i.e. source as locally as I can). Of course, your criteria will be different and that is the key - write a list of what yours are and keep referring to it.

May go visit Tehidy myself as I plan a short trip down to site next weekend.

16 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

May go visit Tehidy myself as I plan a short trip down to site next weekend.

Let us know if you do, I usually go to the cafe there on the weekends.

They system they are using on the site just up the road is pale green in colour, no idea whose it is.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 08:54, SteamyTea said:

Let us know if you do, I usually go to the cafe there on the weekends.

They system they are using on the site just up the road is pale green in colour, no idea whose it is.

Coming down today with 2 pieces Heras fencing on the car. Meeting local groundworker at site and time permitting will make trip over to Tehidy

Edited by BotusBuild

26 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

permitting will make trip over to Tehidy

I went past yesterday and there was no one on site, but more work had been done during the week.  There is usually some activity there all the times I have past it.

But you could take the opportunity to call in at MacSalvers at Pool.

Edited by SteamyTea