Passive Standard House + Integral Garage

Dan F

Sorry to hear that @joth, that is great info on the deadlock for the garage access as that is on my to do list, you have saved us there.  For a front door it just looked to difficult with Moralt in the end so went with a Camel glass liquid metal door, don't think it is passive standard but has good insulation and security credentials to the layman.

• 9 months later...
On 30/07/2021 at 18:03, joth said:

2/ Final BC sign off is delayed because of... 2 issues with the Moralt door: no auto-closer, and no intumescent strips. Now, the fact it's PH certified airtight _should_ make the intumescent redundant, but UK BC don't know that, our plans called for intumescent strips, and my contractor has misplaced the manufacturer manuals/certs that might have stated otherwise.

How did you deal with this in the end @joth.   Our inspector hasn't said anything about intumescent strips, but is insisting that the door is supposed to have "smoke brush seals".

Like you, the airtightness should make these both redundant, especially as the smoke requirement is at ambient temperatures only, but I need something to be able to give him.  I've rung Lathams to see how they can help, but not heard back yet.  I'm hoping if I can get an airtighness certificate of some sort from them (EN 12207) this will help, but we'll see.

51 minutes ago, joth said:

We bought some intumescent seals and installed inside the door frame. And an autocloser.

Took photos of the lot and sent to BC and that was that.

Where exactly did you install the intumescent seals? Did you need to rebate the door or frame for this?

It might be easier for us to install a standard intumescent smoke seal that BCO is used to seeing, then trying to get paperwork to prove EN 13501-2 "smoke tightness" compliance of the Moralt/Lathams supplied product.

Edited by Dan F

The channel for them was already routed into the frame, just outside the baffle. Lathems supplied the strips on request.

Yeah we figured easier just to install them than argue about their pointlessness.

PXL_20220506_132818997.jpg

PXL_20220506_132834525.jpg

10 hours ago, joth said:

The channel for them was already routed into the frame, just outside the baffle. Lathems supplied the strips on request.

I had another look and we do have the intumescent seals which came rebated into the frame.  We also have the same double silcone seal. 

What the BCO wants to see is something like this, which is completely unnecceaary given the double silcone seal and airtighness classification. https://www.pyroplex.com/fire-sealing/fire-door-seals/fire-smoke-seal-pile/

• Confused 1