Wiring Diagrams: looking for standard symbols library

ToughButterCup

I am trying to draw some simple wiring diagrams. To do that I'd like to use standard wiring symbols to construct an image something like this.

examplescreengrab.JPG.a68fa8704a7ccdf68d6810f5a3f357ee.JPG

I don't have access to a proper piece of design software, but I am competent with PhotoShop.

Does anyone have a link for the images used in the  standard electrical services legend? 

Or if  not, then a link to a pdf which contains them (so I can duplicate them for myself)

Thanks

Ian

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Make sure your electrician knows the same set of symbols.

Simply done by adding a key to all the symbols used in the corner of a drawing.

But are you SURE putting it all on a drawing is really the best?

I find walking around the site with the customer and a big black marker pen and deciding in reality with the customer where everything should go makes more sense than trying to imagine on a drawing.  Often they can't visualise until they see it in reality, where they want to put the tv etc, and what rooms need 2 or 3 way light switching and from where.

• Like 1

I like QCAD for doing drawings like this. You should be able to find a DXF or DWG with the symbols in that you can copy out and then it is easy to measure everything out. I you're only creating a sketch, on top of an image file then an image editor (or even PowerPoint) could work, but QCAD does allow image import as a base layer. QCAD has a freemium price model so if you are doing basic stuff it's free (or more advanced stuff before the 10 minutes after opening the software hasn't expired). I spent a while opening and closing QCAD to make use of the advanced features until I bought it for about £30.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I find walking around the site with the customer and a big black marker pen and deciding in reality with the customer where everything should go makes more sense than trying to imagine on a drawing

totally agree, my other half could not visualise what a drawing showed in any respect, walking around and talking about it was the only way.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Simply done by adding a key to all the symbols used in the corner of a drawing.

But are you SURE putting it all on a drawing is really the best?

I find walking around the site with the customer and a big black marker pen and deciding in reality with the customer where everything should go makes more sense than trying to imagine on a drawing.  Often they can't visualise until they see it in reality, where they want to put the tv etc, and what rooms need 2 or 3 way light switching and from where.

No. It certainly isn't the best. It's just one way of many.

Different people see and understand things in different ways: some prefer information presented graphically, others in text, others with a bloody great big felt tip on the wall. A few prefer simple conversation.

I have found that it reduces stress to present the same information in several different ways: means more work for me  but Hell, I'm only doing this once.

Some (... wimmin ?) only need to be told once. No need for fuss or diagrams or stuff like that. 

My coat's already on ... I'm off ?, don't worry.