Advice needed on palette construction project

Best wishes to everyone for the decade ahead.

My project for the week ahead is to build a wood drying area in our garage for logs and kindling.  My plan is to use pallets for the ground area and partitioning walls. See pics. 

I don’t want to drill into our stone wall - any advice on how I can robustly construct this so that everything is super sturdy?

AFB28A8D-CC97-4C9E-B4E6-772281C36058.jpeg

D0E3DB5F-77BF-4D83-A101-9B8D0632BBEF.jpeg

F878DF7A-3AD9-49AB-A726-A9976579E923.jpeg

BDFBD27E-4415-4437-8CA1-8DC0BB839FBA.jpeg

Pallets on the ground are just inviting vermin imo.

The one I did with my nephew a while back:

Concrete base, sole plate to match pallet width:

20170801_153107

You can see here how the width of the pallet matches the width of the sole plate (bottom left):

20170801_170427

Using the same size  pallets helps but isn't essential. Pallets can be shortened and modded such as for the door way:

2017-08-05_11-54-46

You just butt them up and screw through. 

Blocks of scrap timber dropped in between the pallet get screwed from the side and down from the top into the sole plate. Same at the top of the pallet wall for a wall plate. Cladding was waste from a lumber mill:

IMG-20191006-WA0000

IMG_1974

• Thanks 1

OnOff, how did you “break” the pallets without ruining the long lengths of wood. Some pallets have 3-4 nails per section and it’s impossible to separate the wood without cracking and splintering the wood.

Mine won't work on all pallets especially like some of the close boarded ones. It's meant really just to go over the 2" width where the cross bearers are say 3 or 4x2.

This type has merit:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/roughneck-64-644-pallet-buster/?

Should work on all types for instance even where the bearers, second layer down are 4x1 width ways.

Note though mine articulates and the angle irons spread the load so you lift two nails at once so less chance of splitting the wood.

I'll make a universal one one day with quick release pins!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1