Hi from Bristol!

SamP20

Hey there!

I'm Sam and I'm in the process of buying my first house which is quite exciting. I studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Cardiff University, but now have a job in Bristol.

I have quite a few plans for this place including networking, a wired smart home system, and a MVHR system. Obviously I won't have the budget for all of this outright, but it's stuff I'd like to do over the years. This forum looks like a great place to ask the questions I'll inevitably have :D

Sam

3 hours ago, SamP20 said:

Hey there!

I'm Sam and I'm in the process of buying my first house which is quite exciting. I studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Cardiff University, but now have a job in Bristol.

I have quite a few plans for this place including networking, a wired smart home system, and a MVHR system. Obviously I won't have the budget for all of this outright, but it's stuff I'd like to do over the years. This forum looks like a great place to ask the questions I'll inevitably have :D

Sam

Hey Sam 

I’m in bs9 - if you want to take a look how not to do it I’m your man ???

• Haha 1

On 02/01/2020 at 10:21, SamP20 said:

and a MVHR system. Obviously I won't have the budget for all of this outright, but it's stuff I'd like to do over the years.

keep an eye on Ebay, I got my unit fir a couple of hundred pounds, ex stock, stuck it in storage fir a couple of years before fitting it , did the same with my ASHP?

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

keep an eye on Ebay, I got my unit fir a couple of hundred pounds, ex stock, stuck it in storage fir a couple of years before fitting it , did the same with my ASHP?

Ooh that's not bad. I was looking at building my own diy MVHR using a correx heat exchanger (partly because it seems like fun), but for a couple of hundred quid it seems like ebay might actually be cheaper than the raw materials themselves. It's a small-ish property needing a minimum of 30 l/s on boost mode.

Also I was originally from Somerset myself, living in a little village just outside of Bridgwater. One of the things I had to get used to when moving away was everybody calling meals lunch and dinner instead of dinner and tea

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SamP20 said:

Ooh that's not bad. I was looking at building my own diy MVHR using a correx heat exchanger (partly because it seems like fun), but for a couple of hundred quid it seems like ebay might actually be cheaper than the raw materials themselves. It's a small-ish property needing a minimum of 30 l/s on boost mode.

Don’t bother as Correx is just too thick - you would need about 50sqm or more to get 10-20% efficiency. 

If you only need a small unit - and this isn’t BRegs/SAP-Q etc then try one of these units from Boulder for change from £250 new. 

https://www.ventilationmegastore.co.uk/product/dhv-04-100b-unit/

That’s very interesting, about what I paid for my Ebay special but. ”  enthalpic heat exchanger core there is very little risk of condensation needing to be drained.”   I thought enthalpic meant NO condensate?

2 hours ago, redtop said:

does that look like a good deal?

It's more than I paid for mine, but is the cheapest one on the bay at the moment and well below what it's list price would have been.

EDIT: See @PeterW post before before considering buying one of these 

26 minutes ago, Patrick said:

@SamP20

Hello and welcome. I'm in Bristol as well. Which end you are buying? Or you only looking atm?

I'm in the process of buying in Brislington, hopefully only a month or two away from completion. Which area are you in?

2 hours ago, redtop said:

does that look like a good deal?

It needs a Samsung wired remote and I think you will struggle to get one now as they are obsolete units. That’s slightly different to the standard Lossnay too looking at the wiring / circuit boards. 

25 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It needs a Samsung wired remote and I think you will struggle to get one now as they are obsolete units. That’s slightly different to the standard Lossnay too looking at the wiring / circuit boards. 

Well spotted.  I have ammended my posts above to exercise caution.  Without the controller it may not be operable. It is indeed quite different to the Kingspan version that I have.